PIR Sensor

I think it is confusing Scott to keep calling it a permanent when the switched-live is normally left (permanently) ON for the operation of the PIR. Turning OFF the switch will turn OFF the system.
I agree. It was Scott who introduced, and then repeatedly mentioned, the "permanent live", and I attempted (seemingly not all that satisfactorily)( to un-confuse the situation when i wrote...
... You DO need a 'permanent live' to the PIR (to connect to the 'input' of the PIR). In this context, "permanent live" means that, when the PIR is being used, that remains live all the time, even when the PIR has not switched the lights on (the lights are fed from the 'switched live', aka 'output', of the PIR)....

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Steinal PIRs are a bit more expensive but are very reliable ( 20 years and longer ) https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Stein/

The full circuit is here. An improvement would be be to use a double pole switch ( Live and Neutral ) for the OFF switch, This would enable full isolation of lights if (when) needed due to a faulty or waterlogged lamp causing the RCD to trip.

Lamps and PIR bus.jpg

Steinal PIRs are a bit more expensive but are very reliable ( 20 years and longer ) https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Stein/
Some Steinal ones are considerably more expensive (some up to 10 times more expensive), although the one you link to is only about double.

Experiences obviously vary, but I have several of the cheapo ones still going fine after well over 10 years in service and, as I said before, I don't recall any having failed in the first few years.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back