PIR sensor's running LED downlights (possible???)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,i'm a bit new to this so i'll get cracking.
i was thinking of putting a PIR sensor in my hallway linked up to 4 LED downlights,i've been told it's not possible because of the voltage (and amperage) the PIR needs to make the lights work.
but i'm confused,i thought the PIR would be just be a gateway for the voltage to pass through to turn the lights on and then off with it's built in timer.
would there be any solution to this problem,or just to fit normal halogen lights.

thanks in advance

bleubarb.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
LED downlights
Out of interest are you expecting them to actually illuminate the hallway?

yeah just as you open the front door,i had my heart set on this (http://www.wickes.co.uk/1-gang-dimmer-pir-sensor-and-rc/invt/205589/) but as it says in the reviews not to be used with low energy bulbs(':(').
i need my reading glasses,somebody has put so long as your LED's are Dimmable you can use them with most PIR's

It will be hard to put a PIR in a hallway where it will reliably detect the door opening. In fact it is almost impossible. The PIR needs movement of a heat source, the person, to MOVE across the sensor before it will detect the person being there.

If I was doing what you want to do I would get some 12 volt LEDs, a 12 volt power supply for them ( one that can be permanently connected to the mains ) a 12 volt relay and a normally open magnetic sensor switch on the door frame with magnet on the door. Door opens, switch closes and feeds 12 volts to the relay coil. Relay contacts close and feed 12 volts to the LEDS. With a simple relay the LEDS will go out when the door is shut, with a delay to release relay it will remain operated for a time after the door is closed.

Adding to bernard's suggestion, you could use a relay latched by one of it's own contacts, and add a normally closed retractive switch to turn it off in place of the timed delay.

Been using ceiling mounted PIR with LEDs at 2 ft intervals in hall for several years now and no problems. Doesn't react to door iteself opening, but is adjusted to react to area just inside rooms so when person steps to threshold the lights come on. Really well worth while for guests or if your hands are full.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back