PIR?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shower switch playing up so had a look. Sizzled neutral. And yes, the brown sleeved cable on bottom left is 1 of 2 earths!

Also, wall lamp with neutral exposed.

[/img]

PIR was allegedly done in Dec 2009, before I bought flat. No warning label on CU of old & new wiring colours. I'm gonna dig around a bit more...

Sponsored Links
The PIR or Electrical Installation Condition Report as it's now called is somewhat limited in the checks carried out. In the main the inspector is looking for DIY blunders. He does both a visual and a meter based test both complimenting each other.

There are some items which are pass or fail continuity of ring main, earth loop impedance, insulation resistance are examples of go/non go tests and to not find fault where it exists with these is easy to see and condemn where missed.

With the visual part one looks at general condition and according to what extent the test is agreed will maybe remove 20% of the sockets/connection units. If no faults found it then stops. If a fault is found then the items tested will increase. At some point of course a rewire would be recommended at which point inspecting and testing stops.

The cost to remove every socket and connection unit would be prohibitive so there has to be an agreed limit to the tests. It is very rare for any house to get a clean bill of health in fact most testers hunt for a fault as once any fault is reported then they can say that they stopped testing considering it would be retested once the faults are corrected.

The report was split into four categories now reduced to three which report guide here and here so we have.
1) Dangerous.
2) Could become dangerous.
3) Recommended to be improved.
The first two remain but before it was:
4) Does not comply with current edition.
3) Can't be tested. For example where one would need to break seals.
So where for example the colours are red black and green rather than brown blue and green and yellow with a modern report there will be nothing reported.
The idea is to only report items really needing attention as to fill the report with silly items likely means whole report is likely disregarded.
So to get a report with no items high lighted is very rare. So first question what items were high lighted? Second question were any of the high lighted items connected with faults found. i.e. would it be likely the report was not detailed as it recommended corrections which once completed would have redressed the fault.
OK there are bad electricians who miss testing items but most electricians are clever enough to leave them selves a get out of jail free card and will find some fault which once corrected would mean some one else would have to had tested it.

You can't possibly get everything.

I missed some connector blocks in the back of a bathroom cabinet once. Presumably the previous DIY owner (house was rife with DIY work) had a mirror light or something, decided he wanted a cupboard instead of light so took it down, put connector blocks on the cable and drilled hole in cupboard and shoved it through and stored his soap next to it!

Well with nothing electrical nearby I didn't look in back of cupboard, when new owner moved in and went to put his soap away he noticed it and when I was there fixing the other items which had been thrown up he asked me to have a look at it

No PIR can uncover everything.... if you see poor DIY work everywhere, theres probably some you haven't seen and you have to write summary as such and indicate the possibility more might come to light while doing remedials

Started collecting together a few pics from my archives here, but not got very far yet http://www.electro-zone.co.uk/index.php?page=shame

Sponsored Links
I guess you can't look at everything, and you're not required to, but the wall lamp covers just lift off without any tools and are at head height. BTW, the CPC was not connected in the 2nd pic as the cables were too short, and ALL the terminals were loose. Gonna struggle with the new shower pull cord switch as there's no slack in the cables....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back