PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Come across a S/O which has cables from ring into connector block then 2.5mm TW&E from CB to S/O as cables from ring are too short. What number would this be on a PIR and is it dangerous or against regs? Is it just treat as a radial?

Sponsored Links
I'd just take it as a spur. Although probably not best practice, I don't thing there is much wrong providing the terminal block is adequately rated, enclosed, not stressed, no spur from spur scenario etc etc etc.

The second post today relating in a pedantic fashion to acronyms. More often than not PIR is Passive Infra Red! I suppose context gives meaning, but I always heard your version referred to as just "periodics" for abbreviating purposes. Anyone else?

PIR is a standard abbriviation for periodic inspection report, and is used more for this than for a movement sensor

Sponsored Links
Type PIR into google and get a few pages on movement sensors amongst other stuff. Type Periodics in and you get this page as the first hit!

http://www.elecsa.org.uk/Periodics.asp

and I quote "Such inspections are know as ‘Periodics’."

Could be a regional thing I suppose. I used to think that northern electricians spoke a different language when they came down south to work!

RF Lighting said:
PIR is a standard abbriviation for periodic inspection report, and is used more for this than for a movement sensor

sorry RF, it isnt.

irt depends who you talk to.

my of mine is an alarm engineer for alrm co, when i go out with him and his fellow engineers for a beer pir does mean Passive infra red

But we are in electrics UK. I could understand the confusion if we were in alarms and telephones :rolleyes:

PIRs arent just used for alarms though. They are an "electrical" item as well! I think we should stop! :LOL: it could all end in tears. Tomato, TomAto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back