Pitched Roof Leaking Help do we need a new roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I'd be v grateful if someone could give me some guidance here. We've got a leak that I really am struggling to trace despite having easy access to the roof and a hand hosepipe.

Basically it started as a leak onto a soffit which then directed the water back inside the house above a window. I've removed the soffit and directed the drips externally. It looks like this leak might have existed for a long time due to the end of the rafter not in a great state where I think the water was dripping on to it. I only really noticed the problem when I replaced the previous soffit that had holes in it which presumably allowed the water to run outside.

I found a few places already that if I direct the hose onto it causes the leak and I am conscious of not overly directing the spray upwards since that wouldn't normally happen with rain?

Anyway I've got some pics. Some of the leaks I found seemed to be where the tiles left a larger gap between adjacent tiles of the same row. I circuled an example in green and you can see where I filled another.

I really don't know what to do but doubt I could afford a new roof.

Any advice gratfully received

Pic follow.

General area: http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee377/flutterbye29/roofleak_overview.jpg

Above window general
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee377/flutterbye29/roofleak_abovewindow.jpg

Above window detail where drip can be seen coming from a piece of "flexible metal" of some kind
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee377/flutterbye29/roofleak_detail.jpg

Small roof above window
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee377/flutterbye29/roofleak_roof.jpg

Much larger roof to the left
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee377/flutterbye29/roofleak_roofOnLeft.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is somehow getting past the roofing felt, assuming you have some, and given the probable age of the roof you should have. This may be an issue with the valley which is the joint between the two facets of the roof as it seems to be dripping from the tail of the valley lead. It would be worth checking that the lead valley is in good order and any pointing that is up the valley.

The flexible metal is lead, difficult to tell from pic but hard to understand why its bellow the fascia.
The valley looks to be the area which is giving the problems as dazb said.

A pic from above looking up the valley detailing may help if thats possible.

Dont tar up the water channels as this serves no purpose.

Whats that at the bottom of the valley? it looks like a big gob of mortar.. That will act as a dam and divert the water over the lead.

View media item 35150

Many thanks for the replies. I (maybe mistakenly) tarred up the bottom the valley and around some surrounding tiles.

The roof is lined with black felt like stuff and I'm thinking maybe the water gets past the tiles somewhere, then drips onto the felt which channels the water to the lead valley at the bottom. Does that sound right?

The valley itself looks ok to my untrained eye.

Two more pics of the valley as requested.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee377/flutterbye29/roof_valley_overview.jpg

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee377/flutterbye29/up_roof_valley.jpg

Sponsored Links
For a start post the photos into your DIYnot album and then include them in your post, its a bind having to open up a load of tabs to view the pics.

If the valley seems sound then it is likely to be the tiling around the valley but to be honest i'd advise engaging a roofer as it may be hard finding the leak without creating another leak if your not well practised in roofwork.

Ok looks like I'll need to get a pro in. Just hope he doesn't say I need a new roof :(

Regarding the pictures, I did it via links since I can get a bigger picture that way. Its actually more work for me but just thought it would be clearer. I'll know better next time.

You dont need a new roof... but certainly that vally needs stripping out and redoing with a degree of care... I expect this is where your problem is..

Felt or no felt, It still should not leak.

Can anyone help? How can I find where the water is coming in?
:(
Hold up :!: the soil pipe with the lead slate round it - has it got a rain sleeve solvent welded @ the top of the lead :idea: I`ve seen many with water getting in there

Can anyone help? How can I find where the water is coming in?
:(
Hold up :!: the soil pipe with the lead slate round it - has it got a rain sleeve solvent welded @ the top of the lead :idea: I`ve seen many with water getting in there

I only just saw this reply and I wonder if this is the key? Since last posting 2 months ago, I've got a roof ladder and have been up there with my hosepipe trying to figure out where the leak is. The problem is it can take up to 5 minutes of water before any leak shows itself so its difficult work.
Anyway the last time I did this was last weekend and pouring water around that soil pipe definiately caused water to leak under the channel where it shouldnt't (as previously posted).
I thought it was getting in on one side of the lead mat type thing so I tarred that up. Next day it rained, and as usual it was still leaking !
Are you saying that a common problem is at the top of this rectanglur lead section at the base of the soil stack? From memory it is just tucked under the tiles above so presumably that's good enough isn't it?

the top of the square of lead could have sagged under it`s own weight over the years and water running back :idea: . That looks like a standard size -off the shelf - slate . Where it`s situated I would have made a larger one and taken it into the valley - also it needs a weathering collar on the pipe over the lead - glued on after the slate is sorted . You would be surprised at the amount of water that can trickle down the side of the pipe under the lead "tube" ;)...... Look at a Screwfix product code 25918 or similar

I'll check the top of the lead for sagging at the weekend.

I did some searches but still not completely clear what the collar does. Is it to protect where the base of the stack meets the roof as in the attached pic (not from my house) ? But in my case, the lead sheath around the stack looks like its welded or otherwise stabily joined to the base lead tile.

Also I made a small mistake in my previous post - I tarred up a regular concrete tile very close to the lead slate not the slate itself which is open on both sides. Could water get in their as it runs down?

Pull the valley tiles out - two or three either side of the lead, replace the lead, replace the tiles, check tile manufacturers sites for detailing.

Seal between the lead and the plastic SVP pipe. Job done.

Would take less time than writing the above etc.

if you haven't got the tools or the confidence, better get a roofer to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back