Placing a bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our bathroom had a 4" vent through an outside wall with no fan/electrics right next to the shower head above the bath. We've moved the shower and taps to the other end of the bath, so the vent is now the length of a standard bath (plus an awkward couple of inches of tile!) away from the shower head. The vent is around 7 feet from the floor, with an 8 foot ceiling.

I'd like to fit a standard (timed) extractor fan to this vent. Initially I was going to do it myself, but stories of part P and isolators have convinced me that I should get a grown-up to do it for me. Two questions:

1. Is the location OK for a fan? Standing in the bath the fan is in reach, but it's not within splash range of anything. So is it even worth speaking to an electrician?

2. Would it be possible to bury conduit of some sort in the wall leading down to where the fan would be so that I can plaster and decorate while waiting for an electrician? If so, is there a specific sort it would need to be?

Cheers, Paul

Sponsored Links
Thanks! I take it a low-voltage model would still require inspection according to part p?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back