Placing a concrete lintel on a 100mm bearing at end of a block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the front part of my side extension there is a small porch area I'm building. The inner skin is 1800mm wide. I was thinking of sticking in a 950mm wide door and a couple of slim windows attached either side for light.

With such a limited width, I was considering blocking up the inner skin on the sides to 2100mm (correct height for the door/window combo) and placing a concrete lintel across. This lintel will be resting on the end of the medium density block for the 100mm width of the block. The lintel will be supporting a low gable end only.

I'm aware 150mm bearing is ideal, but with limited space like I have, would this be OK? The outer skin is obviously wider so could have the 150mm bearing but also on a corner return increasing stability. It's the inner skin getting me worried.

Sponsored Links
IMG_5904.JPG
Picture is worth a thousand words.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back