Plan to lay some real wood boards in the ensuite

C

charliebean

Hi,

We moved into our house 5 years ago - a new build.
It has a carpet throughout.
I bought some laminate stuff, but actually its not laminate its t&g but real wood, a couple cms thick. The ensuite isnt big.

At the moment there is the carpet and underlay that i plan to remove. Below that are those modern sortof green boards, if you know what i mean.

What do i need to do to prepare a surface for laying on, or is it ok straight on top?

Im also concerned that the thickness means it might be a little high where it meets the door and the carpet leading into the bedroom. What can i do about that?

Thanks for your help.
Best

Sponsored Links
m also concerned that the thickness means it might be a little high where it meets the door and the carpet leading into the bedroom. What can i do about that?

I believe I've read that some people with hugely advanced carpentry skills and and expensive tool called a saw, actually cut a corresponding amount from the bottom of the door.

It's hard to believe, I know, but that's what I have heard.

What do i need to do to prepare a surface for laying on, or is it ok straight on top

Are the (chipboard ) sheets flat and level ? How do you intend to fix the new boards or are you floating them ?

I believe I've read that some people with hugely advanced carpentry skills and and expensive tool called a saw, actually cut a corresponding amount from the bottom of the door.

It's hard to believe, I know, but that's what I have heard.

Ok. Thanks for the sarcastic reply, but Im not talking about the door being a problem, but under it where it meets the carpet. The problem will be the step up from the carpet in the bedroom to the wooden floor in the ensuite.

I dont think it is chipboard, though i may be wrong about that. Its not any type of chipboard that i have seen before at anyrate.
But, yes they are level.

I havent done this before so i dont know whether to float them or fix them, but my guess would be float as i expect with the steam from the shower they are likely to move quite a bit over time. What is usually best in these conditions?

thanks

The problem will be the step up from the carpet in the bedroom to the wooden floor in the ensuite.

You need a transition strip : either wood or metal that bridges the height difference at an angle.

I dont think it is chipboard

100% certain it is Moisture Resistant ( MR ) chipboard which is green.

Unless your wood is teak, forget it. Wood in a bathroom is a very poor idea: definitely not recommended.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

We moved into our house 5 years ago - a new build.
It has a carpet throughout.
I bought some laminate stuff, but actually its not laminate its t&g but real wood, a couple cms thick. The ensuite isnt big.
At the moment there is the carpet and underlay that i plan to remove. Below that are those modern sortof green boards, if you know what i mean.

This is moisture resistant chipboard. A standard in any property these days.
What do i need to do to prepare a surface for laying on, or is it ok straight on top?

If you were dead set on laying a solid wood flooring in a bathroom area, I'd recommend that you at least use an underlay depending on how you're fitting the boards to the subfloor. If you lay this as a floating floor you could go with a standard foam underlay. You really do have to be careful when laying as a floating floor, though, as there are many precautions you need to take. I.E 12mm expansion gaps around the perimeter edge of the room and around all sinks/toilets/baths/showers.
You would not be able to glue it to the waterproof chipboard as the painted 'waterproof' will not let the adhesive bond to it. Your only other option is to secret nail - this is a real sensitive procedure, so my advice would be to consult a professional.

Im also concerned that the thickness means it might be a little high where it meets the door and the carpet leading into the bedroom. What can i do about that?

Thanks for your help.
Best

You would be able to, as mentioned, cut away any part of the door frame getting in your way. For the transition in general you could always use a multi-height door bar, they sell them in places like Wickes and Homebase and can go up to an 18mm transition.

Though, all in all I would really not recommend any type of solid wood in a bathroom area. It's just too much hassle and if you get any type of water in the joints you could ruin the whole floor and you would have to replace it anyway.

My advice in a nutshell? Go with a 12mm Express Lock laminate and glue it together with a woodplank adhesive to help protect against any type of moisture getting in the joints.

thanks for the advise.

I was hoping to use what we have already available, i have four packs of the real wood stuff, that i got for a fiver each a while back. Its enough to cover the small ensuite.
Unfortunately we cant afford to buy anything new that might be better, and the carpet in there at the moment isnt great.

I checked and its solid birch. Is there not some kind of coating i could apply to make it water tight?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back