"Planed" timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ordered some planed 2x3 timber from B & Q under the assumption it'll be flush, and straight. All the pieces were wonky. Same thing with wickes - what gives ? I thought planed meant being run through a planer but apparently not.

Sponsored Links
PAR, means. planed all round. It is not a guarantee that the timber will be straight by the time that you buy it.

I try to avoid buying timber from DIY sheds, but when I have to, I inspect each length individually. Inspect each length by removing it and looking from the top down the length.

I ordered some planed 2x3 timber from B & Q under the assumption it'll be flush, and straight. All the pieces were wonky. Same thing with wickes - what gives ? I thought planed meant being run through a planer but apparently not.
I never order timber , you need to pick thru timber if you want it straight and true .

I can't speak for the trade outlets but in B&Q, Wickes or Selco, CLS, PAR, decking - no matter what I can go through about say 30 odd lengths of timber just to find a few straightish ones, some of them just beggar belief. I would never buy timber online. Even some of the sheets of timber are dreadful. Not sure you can really do that in the likes of Travis or proper timber merchants, though I avoid the traders as the prices never seem to be transparent/readily available.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I never order timber , you need to pick thru timber if you want it straight and true .
i do the same, the one time i had a delivery with sheet goods from TravisP it was not usable , all twisted , I should have known as i always check, but expected better from TP

I was looking for some moulding needed about 15 lengths and went to wickes and went through all the stock and next size up and could not find anything - terrible quality recently

even at a big local timber yard it was about every other piece i looked at

Are there no suppliers that actually offer the real deal ? not even small ones ?

yes you can get

true stud

Robin Clevett has mentioned and used in a few videos

I can echo what others have said about timber from the likes of B&Q. Where are you based? I have a couple of North London recommendations, if any use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back