Planer thicknesser for sanding engineered oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've bought a used engineered oak floor. It's 20mm thick with about 6mm oak making up the real wood layer.

It's in need of a sand so we either fit the floor and then sand it or I was thinking of maybe buying a planer thicknesser and sanding each plank first but never used one. Can you set it so it only takes a really small (less than 1mm) layer off? Is there any reason why I should avoid doing it this way?

Screwfix are selling this Triton one for less than £200 which has got me tempted.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When they lay parquet, they sand the entire floor after laying
Either way, you'd need to sand it once it's down

When reusing old parquet it's normal to use a table saw to trim the bitumen or adhesive off the bottoms of the pieces before laying to get a consistent thickness and minimise old adhesives. Old bitumen or adhesive can sometimes create adhesion problems (due to incompatibility or contamination). The process isn't kind on either the saw or the blades (so the table saw is often hired-in whilst the blades are regarded as consumables). Once laid the top surface is always sanded in situ as Foxhole recommends. I'd take the same approach with your engineered materials

Sponsored Links
Your floor is second hand so may be slightly warped or the thicknesses may be slightly different.
Using a planer/thicknesser, if you decide to use the thicknesser the boards should come out the same thickness. However, you will need to set it to a set distance and then pass ALL the boards through at that setting. Some may not have anything taken off them while others may not even fit in the thicknesser because they are thicker. I've had this problem with PAR timber that was supposed to be the same size!
The difference with your flooring timber may be because the 'engineered side is built thicker/thinner on some boards than on others. So, as others have said, lay it first and sand it afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back