Planing oak sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
200x100x2400mm green oak sleepers. I need to plane off a tiny amount each surface .

Makita DKP181 has 85mm wide planing blade. I was going to use the guide to plane Along the left and right edges of the timber, but what do I do with the 30mm in the centre. Just freehand?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How much is a tiny amount? 1mm? 5mm?

Firstly, don't be surprised if you get tear out with the power planer in one direction as you will be working against the grain in one of the two directions. I've found that I get less tear out when I make more passes making multiple thinner cuts rather than a single thick cut (which doesn't do a cordless planer any good, either). If I get tear out I find it is better to leave the last millimetre or so to be worked with a hand plane with the grain to remove it

Secondly, I wouldn't try to take out the middle completely with the power planer - you cannot guarantee it will never be completely flat that way. I've found it is better to take it down to nearly flush with the power planer then it flush with a hand plane (a jack plane or a fore plane) or even with a belt sander. That also ensures that the scallops from power planing (almost always visible with obtuse lighting) are removed

An alternative approach might be to reduce the edge using a circular saw (with the blade cuts meeting in the centre) followed by hand planing or belt sanding to get a flat edge

How much is a tiny amount?
1mm at most. I tried to sand and couldn’t get a decent finish. The sleepers had been left outside uncovered for a few weeks until I got some time off. Was hoping to shave off a tiny amount, sand smooth and then use some wood preserver before fitting in the garden.

1mm at most. I tried to sand and couldn’t get a decent finish. The sleepers had been left outside uncovered for a few weeks until I got some time off. Was hoping to shave off a tiny amount, sand smooth and then use some wood preserver before fitting in the garden.

1mm? I thought it was going to be a bit more than that when you were talking about a power planer. Because it has been stored outside it will have picked up moisture from the atmosphere (especially near the surfaces) and that will make it a lot more awkward to deal with. TBH now I know ity was outside for a while I think I'd just freehand it, making sure I was working with the grain for all the passes. This will leave a centre "hump" but a sharp jack plane, or even a block plane, should take that out. Then sand to finish - once the surface is off it should be drier on the inside (we've had high humididty up here since May which makes a lot of difference).

What type of sander were you using and what grit? I'm pretty sure my 4in belt sander with a coarsish grit (P80 or maybe P60) alox or zirconium belt would deal with it. I'm sure a higher grit like P120 would clog and skate

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
1mm?

What type of sander were you using and what grit?
I did the first sleeper. Three passes at 0.2mm setting seemed to get the fresh wood underneath. Sanding with random orbital sander and P80 helped with any steps/unplanned areas.

My only issue now is crosscuts. Using a speedsquare and pencil gives me a line around the circumference that is continuous (joins up where it started from). My circular saw wants to cut inwards by a fraction - the width of the blade - so when I do my cuts, there’s a step on the end grain face. That’s with me using the speedsquare as the guide.

Bloody remarkable if you have worked round a bit of wood with a set square and the lines meet up .... I normally do three sides then join the last line up with a straight edge.

Probably best cutting it with a hand saw for a good result. Do some from both sides then join the cut up, seriously evryone seems to avoid hand tools like the plague, and yet in many cases they give better results.

Probably best cutting it with a hand saw for a good result. Do some from both sides then join the cut up, seriously everyone seems to avoid hand tools like the plague, and yet in many cases they give better results.
I think you'd struggle to get a 1mm cut with a hand saw - too easy for the blade to run out of the cut. I agree with what you say about people avoiding hand tools, although an old gaffer of mine used to say that, " Power tools are the devil's invention - made to ensure that any fool can stuff up job quickly, not just professional fools". He gave me a right ear 'oling when I bought myself an electric router...

In this instance I think a power planer is probably the best tool but that a random orbit sander, even a Festool, would be outmatched by a cheap, ugly Makita 4in belt sander

I think you'd struggle to get a 1mm cut with a hand saw - too easy for the blade to run out of the cut. I agree with what you say about people avoiding hand tools, although an old gaffer of mine used to say that, " Power tools are the devil's invention - made to ensure that any fool can stuff up job quickly, not just professional fools". He gave me a right ear 'oling when I bought myself an electric router...

In this instance I think a power planer is probably the best tool but that a random orbit sander, even a Festool, would be outmatched by a cheap, ugly Makita 4in belt sander
My comment regarding using the handsaw was to trim the sleeper to length, (second part of post #7,) where my understanding was he had marked round the circumference of the sleeper but the circular was not deep enough to get all the way through.

I never understood what the OP was trying to achieve in the first post. and that bit still remains a mystery to me.

I never understood what the OP was trying to achieve in the first post. and that bit still remains a mystery to me.
Making a raised bed. Sleepers were 2400mm long and needed to be cut to size. Because I’d left them out for so long, the surface had weathered a bit before I got a chance to use them. I wanted to clean them up a bit prior to using some outdoor wood treatment stuff. Sanding was taking forever even with P80 sandpaper. Using a power planer saved me some time.

Probably best cutting it with a hand saw for a good result. Do some from both sides then join the cut up, seriously evryone seems to avoid hand tools like the plague, and yet in many cases they give better results.
I have a tendency for my cut line to waver. I normally resort to a mitre box where possible.
Power tools are the devil's invention - made to ensure that any fool can stuff up job quickly, not just professional fools
Very true. But they help fools like me manage to do some basic work.

I have a tendency for my cut line to waver. I normally resort to a mitre box where possible.
It takes practice

But they help fools like me manage to do some basic work.
The old chap who said that to me (although in all honesty I am now somewhat older than he was at the time) was bemoaning the loss of hand tool skills amongst the trades. TBH I think he had a point about the need to learn the basics with hand tools before "progressing" to power tools.

In recent years I've had a few apprentices attached to me for a few months each and they invariably eye up my little Makita 165mm cordless circular, possibly because it has almost completely replaced my handsaw, and maybe because with it I can produce smooth, straight, square cross cuts. But they only get to use it once they can do a half way decent cut with a handsaw consistently. I agree that you are in a different situation, but allow me to point out a few possible "gotchas" in what you may have done:

1. Odds on that the zero degree stop on your saw isn't actually zero, but that you set your saw to that 0 degree mark. Professional saws often have a grub screw to adjust the zero point, but it may surprise you to learn that out of 8 professional saws I've bought new in the last 12 years, I only recall two having an accurate 0 degree (plumb cut) setting out of the box - even one kf my two Festools was about half a degree off. So check and set that 0 degree cut with a square and then by making a test cut in a piece of something like 3 x 2 CLS, which is checked using an accurate square. If a saw ever gets dropped, as happens, the zero has to be chevked and reset before the next cut is done

2. Odds are that you have never checked that your square is square. This is the self-check that you can with the square against the edge of a sheet of plywood, MDF, etc. A surprising number of squares aren't square out of the box (the worst offenders seem to be cheap combi squares), and even if they are dropping one on a hard floor or throwing it into a tool box when you've done with it isn't helpful to accuracy. If your square isn't accurate you can't set your saw up accurately. If you don't have a reasonable combi square, take a look at the Bahco CS300. lt's no Rabone or Starrett, but it is a lot more robust and accurate than any of the sub-£10 POS combis I've seen apprentices turn up with

3. How are you guiding the saw? Often people try to follow a pencil line. It is far easier to slap a 7in speed square onto the wood and use that to guide the saw's base plate. That or make-up your own cross cutting guide

4. How good is the surface you are working from? Cups and bows across the width can play havoc with cut accuracy as the saw base plate tries to follow it. Same goes for very rough timber. If you have either it can sometimes be worth fixing a straight edged rip of ply to the offending surface, squared off the adjacent edge with packers under the ends or middle to level it up. You really don't need to do this all that often

I think he had a point about the need to learn the basics with hand tools before "progressing" to power tools.
I completely agree. During secondary school, we did a project using entirely hand tools - plane, saw, hand drill etc. I was crap at it then and I’m still crap. Yes, it takes practice and whilst I would love to develop skills like Paul Sellers, I simply haven’t got the time. My most complicated project was a simple tiered planter.

1. Odds on that the zero degree stop on your saw isn't actually zero,
DHS680. The blade is fractionally out of square towards the centre (spindle hole) of the blade but perfectly square towards the cutting edge. This is against the base plate.
2. Odds are that you have never checked that your square is square.
No not checked. I would have thought that being able to draw a continuous pencil line around the timber would have meant there would be reasonable accuracy.
3. How are you guiding the saw?
Speed square. That’s what I’ve pretty much always used with the circular saw. I know with one cut I did, the base plate started to ride over the speed square. Even when I’m careful, on the 200mm side of timber, the blade will start on one side of the pencil line and end up on the other side. Something is amiss and I can’t work out what it is.

I’ve checked again. Base plate adjusted so blade is 90° to it. But the back of the blade is 1-2mm further out from the edge of the sole plate compared to the front of the blade. How do I adjust this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back