planning advice new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an opportunity to apply for planning on a 20 acre agricultural land plot for a single dwelling.

I don`t intend to live in a caravan for 10 years or work in the agricultural industry in the immediate future although i come from a farming family i am now working in the building trade.

Do i stand a chance of getting planning permission on what is effectively green belt land? probably not.... however there used to be a domestic dwelling on the land in a clearing between feilds which had fallen derelict and has since reduced to a few mounds of earth, the dwelling however is still shown on current OS maps, would this aid me in getting planning? the land is on the boundary of a small hamlet and has access from a no through rd leading to the hamlet.

Sponsored Links
The only way you will get a dwelling on green belt countryside is if there is a building to convert or you build a dwelling necessary to house an agricultural worker. The building you describe is not capable of conversion so that is out. You ruled the second option out yourself.

Another option would be to trade off any outbuildings against any new build development, so in theory there would not be much (if any) increase in floor space.

Sponsored Links
I'm not certain is right to dismiss the "ruin" so quickly. There may be merit to the arguement that you are reinstating this. It won't be easy but you may find it a useful tool in your arsenal.

You should speak with local planners and have them outline their stance on greenbelt land. Many places are relaxing their stance in favour of development but you will be strictly controlled.

So, whilst building a new house on green land would never be easy you may have a way in thanks to the fact that a house did exist there in the relatively recent past.

build a secret underground base.

or maybe reassemble this derelict building somewhat to demonstrate that there has always been a habitable structure there.

then pay the squillions quid to your local councillor or lobby a politician or something.

tell them that you want to start polluting the local ground water with a fracking operation and they'll go for it.

personally i would summon the aliens and have them put up a force field around the 20 acres that fries all planning dept people.

I'm not certain is right to dismiss the "ruin" so quickly. There may be merit to the arguement that you are reinstating this. It won't be easy but you may find it a useful tool in your arsenal.

You should speak with local planners and have them outline their stance on greenbelt land. Many places are relaxing their stance in favour of development but you will be strictly controlled.

So, whilst building a new house on green land would never be easy you may have a way in thanks to the fact that a house did exist there in the relatively recent past.
A few mounds of Earth does not a dwelling make.

thanks for a reply, a few interesting comments made, i have spoken to a planning consultant today who will do a site visit next week to see if there is any chance of getting planning on the site.

i shall keep thee posted!

tell them that you will turn the land into a 20 acre eco village site if they dont allow conventional permissions.

500 of the great unwashed buying out all the lentils and helping themselves to the local diesel supply might swing it for you : )

Whatever you're sniffing/munching munchingB, I suggest you stop :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back