Planning an extension

Thanks for all the updates people. Much appreciated. :D

I have to admit I'm still pretty confused as to whether I need to go to the expense of getting drawings sorted but I should probably have provided more information about what exactly we're wanting to do.

At the moment the rear wall of the house has a large patio door on the left hand side (straight from a sort of dining area) leading through to the conservatory. The conservatory is split in half with a patio door to the right where there is a hot tub (all good but we need the space more than a hot tub in reality!).

A very, very, rubbish drawing:

Currently:

View media item 75004
Potentially something like:

View media item 75005
The more I think about it though, as we're wanting to undertake work that will have a bearing on the structure of the house we would probably need architects and the like because to open up the rear wall I'm assuming we would need the addition of a RSJ to support the wall. Also, there is currently a chimney breast on the left hand wall in the middle (in the dining sort of area) and it may be sensible to remove this (if cost isn't prohibitive).

Is this something that a technician, as referred to earlier in the thread, would be able or undertake t is it straight to architect for this one...

Sponsored Links
we're wanting to undertake work that will have a bearing on the structure of the house we would probably need architects and the like because to open up the rear wall I'm assuming we would need the addition of a RSJ to support the wall.

Is this something that a technician, as referred to earlier in the thread, would be able or undertake t is it straight to architect for this one...

A technician would be well-able to sort this for you but you will need an engineer to determine suitable support for the wall you are removing, and (probably) design a structure to maintain lateral stability.

Don't bother with going to an architect - they will charge you £££ just to tell you that you need an engineer.

I am consistently amused by people continuously slagging off Local BC

Curious definition of slagging off, butt I'm delighted that your experience means you find the council preferable; in some boroughs, I too prefer the council, in (more) others I've had better service out of the private guys. Perhaps you failed to notice my uses of words like "might" and "potentially"; as a quick English 101 my use of these words is to convey a possibility, rather than a certainty, that a private guy would give better service..

Great advice for somebody who isn't familiar with the process.

Does it mean he cannot learn it though? Must he be pushed to go straight to an architect/tech, or is it reasonable to suggest that he can engage learning mode and do a lot of this himself?

Sponsored Links
Does it mean he cannot learn it though? Must he be pushed to go straight to an architect/tech, or is it reasonable to suggest that he can engage learning mode and do a lot of this himself?
That's what I would like to do. Unfortunatley i'm an unconscious incompetent in this field in that I don't even know what I need to know about, let alone understand it!

I am consistently amused by people continuously slagging off Local BC, I just see no evidence of this in this neck of the woods. I suspect peoples poor experiences are merely down to poor drawing submissions and poor workmanship. Pricewise in this neck of the woods with the half a dozen or so Local BC’s I regularaly deal with I have generally found them to be equal to if not lower than Private and rarely get any problems with either applications or on site and more often than not they are a helpful and down to earth bunch, furthermore, you do know LA BC’s are actually run to a profit and each area will have its own inspector, rather than some random person!
I'm sure I heard once that in theory you can use an LABC for work anywhere - doesn't have to be within the council's administrative purview.

I am consistently amused by people continuously slagging off Local BC, I just see no evidence of this in this neck of the woods. I suspect peoples poor experiences are merely down to poor drawing submissions and poor workmanship. Pricewise in this neck of the woods with the half a dozen or so Local BC’s I regularaly deal with I have generally found them to be equal to if not lower than Private and rarely get any problems with either applications or on site and more often than not they are a helpful and down to earth bunch, furthermore, you do know LA BC’s are actually run to a profit and each area will have its own inspector, rather than some random person!
I'm sure I heard once that in theory you can use an LABC for work anywhere - doesn't have to be within the council's administrative purview.
If you, as in the agent, ‘partner’ with a Local Authority of your choice, you can use any them to do the plan approval, however the inspections have to be carried out by the actual Local Authority who deals with that area.

I asked my favourite guy from a neighbouring city council LABC whether he could inspect my site (under a different city council to him) - the answer was alas, no.. He could certainly draw the plans up, but they'd have to be submitted to the city council responsible for the area for approval and subsequent inspection.. Darn shame

That's what I would like to do. Unfortunatley i'm an unconscious incompetent in this field in that I don't even know what I need to know about, let alone understand it!

Cutting your teeth on an extension seems sensible.. Have you got any idea what you want to build? How good with pencil/paper or a 2D/3D drawing/modelling program are you? If you've never used either, how willing are you to learn?

Like everything in this life, we either know how to do it, want to learn how to do it (and don't mind if it takes longer), or are willing to pay someone else to do it (recognising that we're good at our own stuff, and sometimes there's more value in just paying someone else to do a job while we crack on with our own - only you can make this time/value tradeoff*)

* by this I mean, let's say you earn 100 per day and don't know how to fit a kitchen but youre a handy guy. You get quoted 1000 for some guy to fit a kitchen in a week. Do you take 3 weeks to fit a kitchen, saving yourself 1000, or do you work for 10 days to earn the money to pay the guy to fit the kitchen in a week - kitchen sooner but it costs you 1000 vs wait longer and costs less

Decide which parts of the build you want to do, then we can point you in the relevant directions

I asked my favourite guy from a neighbouring city council LABC whether he could inspect my site (under a different city council to him) - the answer was alas, no.. He could certainly draw the plans up, but they'd have to be submitted to the city council responsible for the area for approval and subsequent inspection.. Darn shame
As previously mentioned whilst the inspections have to be carried out by the actual Local Authority who deals with that area the plans can be approved by any Local Authority, provide you, as the agent, ‘partner’ with them. http://www.labc.uk.com/partnerauthorityscheme

Very refreshing to find someone who understands the concept, and dangers, of unknown unknowns.
I've seen you make this very point to many a DIYer through previous years when on this forum - though agree many don't seem to want to listen! :LOL:

cjard said:
Cutting your teeth on an extension seems sensible.. Have you got any idea what you want to build? How good with pencil/paper or a 2D/3D drawing/modelling program are you? If you've never used either, how willing are you to learn?
We know pretty much want we want to build. I am terrible at drawing (far beyond just bad) though am happy enough to have a bash.

cjard said:
Like everything in this life, we either know how to do it, want to learn how to do it (and don't mind if it takes longer), or are willing to pay someone else to do it (recognising that we're good at our own stuff, and sometimes there's more value in just paying someone else to do a job while we crack on with our own - only you can make this time/value tradeoff*)
Fully agree with you there. There's plenty I've done in the past, though now I have a little more money and a lot less time I would be inclined to only do what I am good at and I enjoy. I think I've also begun to appreciate how important it is to know when it's just going to be far better to call in the professionals.

cjard said:
* by this I mean, let's say you earn 100 per day and don't know how to fit a kitchen but youre a handy guy. You get quoted 1000 for some guy to fit a kitchen in a week. Do you take 3 weeks to fit a kitchen, saving yourself 1000, or do you work for 10 days to earn the money to pay the guy to fit the kitchen in a week - kitchen sooner but it costs you 1000 vs wait longer and costs less
The latter. Well, that's what I did when I last fitted a kitchen. It did take ages though. And I got a chippy to fit the worktops...

tony1851 said:
Don't bother with going to an architect - they will charge you £££ just to tell you that you need an engineer.
This advice was indeed spot on. An architect i'd contacted prior to making the OP came round on Monday and said "drawings will be £XXX but you'll need an engineer as well". Managed to find an architect technician who does drawings and will charge considerably less. Of course, i'll still need an engineer but I feel the cost of the drawings will be better spent with the technician than me trying to do them myself. And this way I can get the drawings done by the AT and have the engineer come and check bits for around the same cost as the architect would do the drawings.

On top of this I have been told that I will not need planning permission but I should apply for a certificate of lawfulness (already mentioned by another poster earlier). This seems like good advice also.

Nothing is set in stone yet (I am meeting the AT on Sunday to discuss the extension) but as it's looking currently:
AT to do survey/drawings.
Engineer to do measurements on RSJ load/size
After receiving drawings then certificate of lawfulness applied from LABC
Fee to LABC for planning application.
Build over application to Thames Water about the sewer "issue" (i'm wondering if maybe I should do this first?)
Tender job to contractors.

Does this sound remotely right?

Finally a couple more questions as you've all been so helpful:
Would the engineer also check the potential sewer issues mentioned with the sewer running across the extension or is that strictly TW area?
Would people generally employ separate tradespersons to do the work as the job progresses (ie bricky/chippy/spark/plumber etc) or advise getting the job done as one?

Thank you all for being so helpful! :)

Get the sewer permission before you spend money on anything else. If you don't get permission to build over, everything else will have been wasted. ATs are fine for this type of work but make sure they are suitably experienced and have PI insurance.

Get the sewer permission before you spend money on anything else.
blank65x10t.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif

Thames Water first then. I did see the other thread on here on such issues and thought it would indeed be frustrating to get so far and then find our plans must change.

Thanks all. Will update with what happens from here.

Edit: Hmmmm annoyingly the Thames Water website says...

"Please remember to include detailed plans with the sewers clearly plotted and cross sectional foundation arrangements. We may not be able to approve your application without this information."

Which sounds like I'm going to have to go to the expense of getting drawings done before I make this application anyway - I can do a rough sketch but I have no idea on "cross sectional foundation arrangements"?! I would have thought they know where their own sewers are but guess this is rolling over from when these would have been private sewers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back