Ball park figure for planning application??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm hoping that someone here can advise me. I am considering an extension to my house and to do this it will involve demolishing an existing conservatory which measures approximately 4m by 5m.

The new extension will be of similar size and proportions to the existing conservatory (ie still only single storey).

I assume that I will still need planning permission even though the replacement building will be of almost identical proportions to the existing?

I am in Cornwall, so can anyone advise (approximately) what sort of fees should I expect for an architect, structural engineer etc?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I'm in Falmouth. Spoke to the planners today and it appears I will need to submit planning drawings anyway regardless.

What should I be expecting an Architect and Engineers to cost me?

A ballpark figure for planning would be approx £450, about the same again for building regs. This assumes in terms of planning it is fairly non contentious ie it is not listed or in a conservation area etc whereby more consideration will be required and a pre-application may be required to achieve a solution acceptable to the planners. A technician would be quite capable of producing such applications rather than a registered architect and would prove more cost effective.

An engineer may not even be required either if the design is fairly run of the mill although if you factored in around £400-500 for their fees I doubt you'd go far wrong.

Planning Application Fees to the Local Authority would be £150 and Building Regs fees to the Local Authority would be about £400.

The cost to build it would be in the region of £1000/m2.

Ahem, would you like to discuss your proposals and for me to submit a formal quotation to you? I am in Plymouth.

Sponsored Links
Expect to pay around £1500 in fees for planning, regs, drawings and structural calcs.

I've just been through this & had planning through.......
Not cheap.
I have no idea what planning charge for as they did no more than 4 hours work for the £335 i paid them.

Huw, if you paid £335 planning fee for an extension you were ripped. The fee should have been £150. If so I'd be looking for a refund if I were you.

Change of use as well.
I took this off in the total, so mine was actually ~£1700 all in.
Then building regs decided they wanted another £200! I fought that & won.

Regardless of the exact amount that all the fees will cost you, it is not cheap, so don't think allocating £500 will cover it!

So would eveyone agree that £450 plus costs in about right? (Apart from Huw).

One thing that I found out when speaking to the planners is that 'pre-application' enquiry is an outdated process though Freddy and one that isn't offered anymore apparently. I don't want a 'run of the mill' extension and so need reassurance that whoever draws the drawings for me is fairly sure that it fits in with local planning 'thinking'.

I wanted something a little more adventurous than just a brick box to be honest, something a bit more Grand Design-ey! Are the planners likely to look more favourably on something drawn by a local architect as they know tha area better?

How many 'goes' at getting a design through the system would I get for £450? I mean, if I describe exactly what I want and then require a few changes once I see the finished article is that allowed for within the fee? And, if when the drawings are submitted the planning officer demands some more changes is that covered within £450 too?

I don't want to get into a situation where I've paid someone a small amount for a set of drawings only to be presented with another bill if changes (either requested by me or others) are required! I get anough of that kind of 'piecemeal' billing at the garage with my car!

With regard to building regulations, I've been told (down the pub so reliability dubious!) that I could have an extension built 'on notice'. I understand that this entails telling the authority of that intenetion to begin works and then paying for inspections. Good way to go or not?

One thing that I found out when speaking to the planners is that 'pre-application' enquiry is an outdated process though Freddy and one that isn't offered anymore apparently.

No, it varies between Local Authorities, Plymouth for example will not entertain a Pre-planning application whereas Dartmoor positively encourage it.

If a local architect/technician has had good communications with the Planners in the past ie is on first name terms he is likely to be able to talk to the relevant planners beforehand, if someone not familiar with the area contacts the planners he'll end up with the Duty Officer. If you want something non standard obviously a local is likely to know what you generally can and cannot get through. Of course when you get your quotes for planning you need to specify that wish them to talk to the planners before a submission is made, some will inevitably charge more for this. Of course there's nothing stopping you from talking to the planners. If it were me and I'd quoted you £450 I'd draw it up once based on your rrequirements and would expect to make some more changes to get it just right. Any more than that and either the brief is unclear or its not been understood by the designer. If such an application was submitted to the planners and they required amendments I'd allow for say an hour or two to make the changes (an hour or two is ample to make some minor amendments and print some more drawings) on a small extension. Any more than that and I'd charge per hour extra but that would be unusual. You can't expect to get two different submission of a planning application for the price of one. If your designer draws up an application to your requirements and the planners subsequently ask for major amendments why should the designer pay for it when he's drawn what you asked him to?

A building notice is fine if the builders good/reliable. Personally IMO it can be a false economy.

You can't expect to get two different submission of a planning application for the price of one. If your designer draws up an application to your requirements and the planners subsequently ask for major amendments why should the designer pay for it when he's drawn what you asked him to?

I wouldn't want to pay someone to simply draw what I told them - I want them to use their skill to draw something that meets my needs but stands the best chance of getting planning! With a bit of effort I could draw something that won't getting planning myself for free!!

BUT... I don't want someone to do a simplistic design that is easy to 'get through' the system just because they don't want to have to think too hard about it. The route of least resistance doesn't usually result in good design in my opinion.

Is contemporary design harder to get through planning than traditional do you think?

I mean, if I describe exactly what I want and then require a few changes once I see the finished article is that allowed for within the fee?
Sorry but I took this to meaning you knew exactly what you wanted. A more contentous design may be more difficult to get through, it depends on how its looked upon by the planners hence my comment that using someone familiar with what is and isn't likely to be approved in the local area and using someone friendly with the local planners may make the process less risky. This doesn't mean the design has to be run of the mill.

The designer should foremost design something that is likely to meet local planning policy, and thus be most likely to be approved. This may include either having knowledge to advise what can and can't be done, or at least getting an opinion before submitting

But as it is not certain what will be approved, then the designer should be prepared to amend the design as necessary to meet planners concerns and get a compromise approval - this should be at no extra cost

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back