Change on planning application/PD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have planning for double storey extension and conservatory is also on the planning application to. At first fix on extension and BCO checked everything and happy up to pre plaster which is where we are now,conservatory has had same depth foundations as the extension sits on and BCO hasn't inspected conservatory foundation or anything to do with it as regs not required as he noted on his last visit. My question is if we decide to change the conservatory to a single storey extension with mono pitch roof with 2 velux windows in do I have to submit a new planning application?
After doing some reading on planning portal website I can see that if the height is a max of 3 meters and depth max of 3 meters then it's classed as a permitted development and does not require planning application to be submitted?
So am I right in thinking no need to speak to planning, I just tell the BCO of the change of my plans and update my drawing to show what we are going to do and pay his fees for inspection? Of course he will now want to inspect the foundation on this and thinking I can just dig a small hole close to the foundation so he can be happy with the required depth etc and DPC.

Also if a conservatory is a PD then I can't unspderstand why it was ever on the original planning application in the first place?

Additional info: We have just bought this house that needs extension works finishing and the planning and BCO inspections are all paid up front by previous owners including completion certificate once we have finished.

Here is the info I found
If you are confident that the works you are proposing to carry out do not need planning permission you are free to proceed without contacting the planning office, however it is worth bearing in mind that should you ever come to sell your property you might be asked to provide evidence that you did not need permission for the works. In addition it is always possible that the works you are undertaking may get reported to the Council and become the subject of aPlanning Compliance investigation. With this in mind, even if you are certain that the work you are undertaking does not need planning permission, it would be prudent to contact the planning office to obtain written confirmation, if only for peace of mind.

So my reading of this is I can do it but a little at my own risk should we come to sell buyers will want it in writing and may have to go back to coucil to confirm this was a PD - simple enough if we are paying for regs then would we to get completion certificate anyway to say all is well and planning I imagine would just need satisfying that it fell within the correct measurements and other rules for a PD which it will anyway.

Just don't want to have to wait around and pay for a them to check its a PD etc when I have checked the interactive site and I know it is!
Kind of answering my own question I suppose, but wanted to check with you lads in case there is something crucial that I am missing which maybe the case? Come on......put me out of my misery here :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If the conservatory (now-to-become-a-room) extension was physically joined to the two-storey part, it would have needed planning permission regardless.

Yep it will be joined by 1 wall :cry: there goes that idea!!
Although we won't be knocking through if that makes any difference? But assume it won't! God they think of every way to possibly make things difficult for you haha. Thanks for the reply Tony

Just looked again and cannot see any mention of this though on the planning portal website?? So if it doesn't say it here on the site which is providing the most upto date information, then how are people suppose to know about the rule you have pointed out??

Planning Permission

An extension or addition to your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
Single-storey rear extension must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres if an attached house or by four metres if a detached house.
Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres.
Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.
Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
Two-storey extensions no closer than seven metres to rear boundary.
Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.
Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.
On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey.
On designated land no cladding of the exterior.
On designated land no side extensions.

Sponsored Links
Andy;
I know what you're getting at, but this is the rule in the GPDO which catches you out. It is NOT permitted development if;

"the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would be within 2m of the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse, and the height of the eaves of the enlarged part would exceed 3m"

Unfortunately, although your double-storey eaves will be more than 2m from the side boundary, your extension AS A WHOLE will still be within 2m of the boundary. The phrase "the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse" refers to ALL the extension, not just the single-storey part.

Crackers, I know, but that's how it's interpreted.

Its not particularly clear to me the arrangement, any chance of a sketch of your planning approval and what you'd like to do?

Thanks Tony, just trying to get my head round what you have said haha.

Freddy,
Just slightly on the right you can see the side of the double storey side extension that the single storey extension will share a wall with, in the picture is what I am looking at putting a mono pitch room on and having as a single storey extension. It is currently on my plans as a conservatory but want to change to single storey extension within rules of PD as its no higher than 3m and no deeper standing of the house than 3m to the eaves (obviously once the roof is actually on)
Didn't think I would need another planning application for this? Just the building regs.

I'm sure he'll be along soon; right now he's probably reading up on obscure aspects of the permitted development rules to try and prove me wrong :D

Unfortunately, although your double-storey eaves will be more than 2m from the side boundary, your extension AS A WHOLE will still be within 2m of the boundary.

It's not the whole extension, as the OP has permission for the two-storey part

The "conservatory to extension" element is distinct, and would be assessed against the PD criteria on its own

Not at all tony, just trying to make sure I understand what the OP is describing and, that and putting my boy to bed and having me dinner if that's ok.

Surely, if the OP had built the double storey extension only and then had a break of say a month or whatever he could then build the side extension as a separate extension as PD. So planning would have to be a bit dumb to prevent it under PD surely?

Woody and FMT;

In this instance, I would be glad for the OP if I am wrong. Certainly if the two-storey part and single-storey part were separate structurally there would be no issue that the single-storey would be pd.

However, in my area (Grt M/c) all the LPAs here interpret this as the whole extension needing pp, not just the two-storey part.

Regardless of this, if I were the OP I would just do it. If the LPA did kick off, they would hardly be able to prove loss of amenity to the adjoining property, and it would be difficult to see any grounds for enforcement.

Thanks Woody/FMT.

That's exactly what has happened here as we have bought the place and the gap has been more like a year since any further work has taken place. Couple who we have bought off have had a bad split up and all works stopped.
I have had BCO round to check all is ok before we bought and had confirmed he's happy with everything and we are at pre plaster/first fix stage on the double storey side extension and the conservatory as pictured is ready for a roof/doors/windows etc. couple who we bought off changed there mind about the conservatory idea and intended to do it as a single storey extension but wasn't sure at the time (when they was still together) if they could change this or not. Fast forward and we have bought it and now looking to do what they was considering and I have looked into the PD rules and it looks like it qualifies from what I have read and posted in here from the planning portal website. Sounds like you two are in agreement with me (I hope) if so then am I right in thinking I just need to alter the origanl drawing to show the change in roof and doors etc. Then submitt to the BCO and have the foundation inspected and brickwork that's done to date. Then carry on with the build and it will be signed off once compete, so I will get one completion certificate for the double storey an one completion certificate for the single storey? Or not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back