Planning Application for home extension Refusal Appeal or No

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help me from UK about this. I live in my currant home for the past 12 years. My kids is grown adult they can’t afford to buy or rent a place to live, the only solution for me to extend my house to accommodate them.

I apply for planning permission for extension for double storey on the side and part double and part single storey at the back.

The council refuse my proposal on the bases of that my property will look like a terrace affect if my neighbour build it the same way.

1)The council say I have to set it back 1 meter from the side and 1 meter from the front on the first floor. 2) The single storey at the back depth was on the plan 3.6 meter. He said I have to reduce this to 3 meter depth.
I would like to know from someone out there what to do with this. I don't mind to reduce the depth of the back extension to 3 meter from 3.6 meter and I can set it back the front 1 meter.
If I set back the side by 1 meter it not worth building the double storey at all. Because I have a very narrow carport on the side of the house which I am going to build the double storey. If I set it back 1 meter It will left 90cm development on the side. On the fist floor. I show the council officer about 20 photos of the local development of this kind. To confirm to him that other people get the permission for this kind of development the way I design it on the day when he visit to have a look at the site. He knew everything that i have got a narrow carport if I build it the way he purpose it.
it will be useless and he knew that a lot of other people build it on the same road i live the way i design it. But he said you can’t build it. He say I don’t care about other people build it. He say you can’t build it unless you do what I propose to you. I accept all his other point what he mention but to reduce it from the side 1 meter it not worth doing the double storey.
Now the proposal is refused I want to know. is it worth going for appeal or no. if there was any law about that you have to set it back from the front and side 1 meter. I understand to set it back from the front. Any help will be appreciate

Sponsored Links
Planning guidance stipulates that two-storey extensions have to be min. 1m from the neighbouring boundary.

If you have received a refusal and this is the first application you have submitted for this proposal, then you should be entitled to a "free go" to re-submit another application, providing the design is similar (i.e. taking into account the refusal comments) at no additional cost (i.e. not another planning fee of £150.00).

Did you seek any pre-application advice prior to the application being submitted?

The setting back (or in) is not a legal requirement but there is central guidance that says extensions should be subservient to the host builiding. Like most central guidance once it is issued planners tend to turn it into the most important law of the universe to be vigorously pursued without question. In effect that means, as a minimum, you will have to set your extension back from the original house. There's no point going to appeal at this stage because it will most likely be dismissed on that point alone.

In my neck of the woods we usually set back about 400mm to 500mm. I've known plenty that got away with less and I have known planners try to insist on more, but the guidance doesn't say by how much it should subservient - it just says it should be.

I'm not aware of any guidance that controls distance from the boundary and in fact I have made several successful applications to build two story directly on the boundary in circumstances that sound very similar to yours. It's not always desirable I must admit, but I've had them approved and built.

My advice then would be to reapply with a 500mm set back but leave the side elevation where it is. The planner will presumably refuse it but you will then have an opportunity to go to appeal with something that at least has a chance. The alternative is to compromise and bring the side elevation in by, say, 300mm or 400mm. But that's obviously only an option if it gives you something worth building.

I'm not aware of any guidance that controls distance from the boundary

I am hence mentioning it...

Two storey extensions, or any extension at or above first floor level, should be set at least one metre from the flank boundary of the site (see figure 1 ). A gap will ensure that a terracing effect is not produced and the spacious character of the area is maintained. The second reason for a 1m gap is to ensure that an extension will not have an over dominant effect on an adjacent property.

http://www.southbucks.gov.uk/enviro...s_guidance/two_storey_extensions.aspx[/QUOTE]

I wasn't talking about that particular LA either.

However, as applications are dealt with on a case by case basis then planning officers may not apply all planning guidance documents to particular proposals.

I'm sure the OP could go back in for a proposal, which is set 500mm from the boundary but the application has been refused on it being less than 1m to the boundary so going in for 500mm would just be a waste of time. If the OP went in with it being 1m from the boundary and maybe tweaked other parts of the proposal, at least they have complied with some of the refused issues and then have reasonable grounds to appeal. But ignoring the LA's advice isn't going to help the situation or the appeal process.

Sponsored Links
Hi john
Thank you for your quick response and advice.
Do you think I should leave the rear extension on 3.6 depth or should I reduce it to 3 meter which the planner told me to reduce it. He stated on refusal that the proposed development by reason of the excessive depth of the single storey rear extension would adversely affect the residential amenities of number 152 the proposed development and overbearing when viewed from that neighbouring property and would result in loss of light to that property. As such the proposal is contrary to policies 4.1,5.5& 5.9

Even though on the side where the double storey extension I am going be building on my left side. Neighbour got an extension of 3 meter depth by the width of the property, and right after that extension he got another outbuilding office extension along the boundary line the size is 7.2 X 4.2 between the two extension is just a walk way of 800mm

So another word more than 10 meter covered with extension on my left side of the house along the boundary. The planner said i can build 4 meter in depth on left hand side where the 10 meter cover by the neighbour extension but 3 meter depth on the other side. So it going to be like a L shape, because on the other side neighbour has no extension. i draw a sketch of the my house and the side house i am going to build the extension. for you give you a better picture of site

thank you

It's hard to say exactly what you'll get approved - or allowed on appeal. All I can say is I have secured planning permission for half a dozen extensions more or less exactly the same as yours in the last 2 years. All were tight to the side boundary (or directly on the boundary) but all had to be set back from the front.

My advice stays the same. Re-apply with a set back of 400mm or 500mm and then go to appeal. You could offer to set it in from the boundary by some distance as well but your original post said that this is out of the question because it would not be worth building.

Hi john
Thank you for your advice ever so much. One more thing
Do you think I should leave the rear extension on 3.6 depth as original planning or should I reduce it to 3 meter on right side and 4 meter on the left side which the planner told me to reduce it. So the ground floor extension going to be L shape.
Even though on the side where the double storey extension I am going to be building on my left side. My Neighbour got 2 extensions. 1) extension of 3 meter depth by the width of the property, and right after that extension he got another outbuilding office extension along the boundary line the size is 7.2 X 4.2 between the two extension is just a walking way of 800mm.

So another word my neighbour covered more than 10 meter with extension on my left side of the house along the boundary wall. The planner said i can build 4 meter in depth on left hand side where more than 10 meter cover by the neighbour extension but 3 meter depth on the other side. So it going to be like an L shape on the ground floor, because on the right side neighbour has no extension. I am going to draw another colour plan to give you a better picture about my and my left side neighbour extension in Red and the outbuilding in Blue colour. but the original plan was 3.6 depth and i like the depth of 3.6 or 4 meter depth straight not the L shape. what do you think.

Thank you for your help

[/img]

I wonder if anyone can help me from UK about this. I live in my currant home for the past 12 years. My kids is grown adult they can’t afford to buy or rent a place to live, the only solution for me to extend my house to accommodate them.

I apply for planning permission for extension for double storey on the side and part double and part single storey at the back.

The council refuse my proposal on the bases of that my property will look like a terrace affect if my neighbour build it the same way.

1)The council say I have to set it back 1 meter from the side and 1 meter from the front on the first floor. 2) The single storey at the back depth was on the plan 3.6 meter. He said I have to reduce this to 3 meter depth.
I would like to know from someone out there what to do with this. I don't mind to reduce the depth of the back extension to 3 meter from 3.6 meter and I can set it back the front 1 meter.
If I set back the side by 1 meter it not worth building the double storey at all. Because I have a very narrow carport on the side of the house which I am going to build the double storey. If I set it back 1 meter It will left 90cm development on the side. On the fist floor. I show the council officer about 20 photos of the local development of this kind. To confirm to him that other people get the permission for this kind of development the way I design it on the day when he visit to have a look at the site. He knew everything that i have got a narrow carport if I build it the way he purpose it.
it will be useless and he knew that a lot of other people build it on the same road i live the way i design it. But he said you can’t build it. He say I don’t care about other people build it. He say you can’t build it unless you do what I propose to you. I accept all his other point what he mention but to reduce it from the side 1 meter it not worth doing the double storey.
Now the proposal is refused I want to know. is it worth going for appeal or no. if there was any law about that you have to set it back from the front and side 1 meter. I understand to set it back from the front. Any help will be appreciate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back