Planning/ Building reg breach?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Last September our neighbours started construction of a large shed which they are now using to run a gym business from. After checking with the council they didn't have planning permission & a retrospective application is required for both the shed & change of use. However we are now 6 months on & neither application has been validated. A month ago the council said the applicant has been given the hurry up but now a month later still nothing.

The shed is around 30cm from our boundary, approximately 20m2 in size & made from timber with a felt roof, height wise 2.5m. Would this be considered a planning breach or a building regulation breach? If the latter I think they are trying to run the clock down so no action can be taken outside the year after construction.

Sponsored Links
have they declared the business to various authorities

Do they have lot of people arriving to use the gym, - i suspect no deliveries

I know of a florist, many years ago, running a business from the garage - loads of deliveries , collections , caused a lot of nuisance in the small road .... just happened to be a florist who lived in the road and had a business shop locally - who took all the action, and stopped it

You say approx 20m2 in size. If it is less than 15m2 internal floor area it is outside building regs. Under 2.5m high it is outside planning as it is permitted development. If the timber is clad in fireproof materials, the 15m2 rule doesn't apply in this case. When you say "gym business", is it actually a gym with visitors? or are they just running a home office? It is quite possible that it is either totally legal or so close that it isn't worth enforcing a minor breach.

If it has visitors to a gym, then a different kettle of poisson - that may be enforceable.

Thanks for the above replies. It's more like a Personal Trainer gym which can be noisy with people coming and going at various times throughout the day & into the evening. The cladding on the shed is just painted timber & not fireproof.

We are more concerned about what it's used for & the noise/ vibration from some of the gym sessions & the lack of privacy.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would go after the unauthorised business use and visitors rather than breach of planning/building regs.

have you actually informed them how loud it is ??
i helped my neighbour make a summer house it was quality and because he used 75mm rock wool was so pleased as it would allow him to drum without annoying the neighbours going by the noise insulation claims
he was really peed off when i was next door 6 ft away at the back talked as i passed and he could hear me clearly

have you actually informed them how loud it is ??
i helped my neighbour make a summer house it was quality and because he used 75mm rock wool was so pleased as it would allow him to drum without annoying the neighbours going by the noise insulation claims
he was really peed off when i was next door 6 ft away at the back talked as i passed and he could hear me clearly
We have tried talking to the neighbour regarding the issues but they are far too arrogant to take much notice. Planning know about the noise etc, but say we have to wait for the retrospective planning application to go in to object. If it get's passed I guess we will have to go down the statutory noise route or move.

Just burn leaves in your garden each time he has a session...he'll soon be out of business

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back