@Luke1988 you'd probably be OK to build it under PD there I reckon. If it is "original ground" I guess it can be made up of big rocks and other things, that's not unreasonable.

You're only issue may be if it is raised by someone, it's pretty difficult to prove that a rock in the ground is the "original" land level (E. G. Anyone could throw a rock in the floor and pack some dirt around it and measure off it)

As I said, I think it should be OK from what you've said and the pictures (the land looks like it naturally was higher at the back and the gardens have been cut into it)

If you want to be sure / are worried, either take loads of photos and vids to show the height with something in there for context so it shows the height for future reference, or it may be worth in this instance getting a Lawful development certificate (only if your concerned by neighbours etc)

Thanks.

Yes you can clearly see the rocks part of the ground you can see the base coming out of the ground.

The gardens have been cut into the land as you have said.

We get on with both neighbours so not overly concerned, but due to the height of the rock, we can see over the fences as it is.

Just wanted as much information as possible. The decking will be almost touching the rock in some parts, but It does slope down and right to left, may exceed 30cm in places.

About 80-90% will be covering the rock with hardly any gap.

Attachments

• 557B5898-77AF-4BAA-A883-FED494828C93.jpeg
    557B5898-77AF-4BAA-A883-FED494828C93.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

It’s been a long time.

Just so you all know i appealed to the planning inspectorate and I WON. Got the decision today.

I was right all along. The council should measure from the highest point adjacent to the dwelling as the ground is sloping. As at that point the measurement does not exceed 0.30m the decking cannot be classed as a raised platform and therefore is a permitted development.

Thanks for your support!!!

Hi there,

I am currently going through something similar. Do you have a case ref for the appeal you made to the planning inspectorate so that I could quote this in my correspondence?

Many Thanks

I'm having the same issue although when you exit my back door there is a steep drop (around 1.5m). I have built decking which is attached to the house. Where would the ground level be taken from?

Hi guys

You don’t need my case reference because planning is done on a case by case basis and not on precedent.

I would suggest you read the PD guidance booklet, it gives you all you need.

What’s important here is as long as the height of your decking is no higher than 0.3m adjacent to your house, and the ground is sloping, there is no breach. It doesn’t matter what height the decking is at the other end because that is not the point of measurement.

hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
'no more than 30 cm above the natural ground level (i.e. not an artificially made up ground level) adjacent to the area where decking is to be provided'

I'm having the same issue although when you exit my back door there is a steep drop (around 1.5m). I have built decking which is attached to the house. Where would the ground level be taken from?
1.5m down is the ground level so up 300mm from there or down about 1200mm from you back door level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back