Planning - do I ask for forgiveness or keep my head down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a house, with stable like outbuildings, which have been partially converted to a habitabal residence. They had plumbing but no bathroom, and electrics for a TV room.

The building has been there for over 10 years.

We wrongly assumed some sort of permission, but I have realised now that's not the case and we just finished off the work, including a bathroom...

Should I apply for permission now?

Should I keep my head down.

What are my chances??[/quote]

Sponsored Links
10 years?!?!?! Can you prove that at all - old google earth images, etc.

If so, and unless the property is listed, don't worry about it any further.

Is it not an issue that it now is has a bathroom and therefore is habitable as a home rather than just a TV room?

The building itself has been converted on the inside, but the shell is on Google street view from 10 years ago.

Thanks for your reply :)

Sponsored Links
IIRC a building used as a dwelling without planning permission for over four year is immune from enforcement.
But if you wanted a LDC, you would have to prove it has been used continuously for that period - in your case, probably not as straightforward as it might seem.
But even if you applied for an LDC and was refused on the grounds of insufficient evidence, it's unlikely the council would then take enforcement action.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back