Planning for driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quickie -

Next door neighbour has had their front lawn ripped up and are having a resin driveway. Now I understand that a resin driveway may negate the need for planning permission, but they builder has laid a massive slab of concrete as the sub Base. I'm not bothered by their compliance to planning or not, but the drive slopes quite a lot toward's their house and to a degree mine.

There is no apparent drainage installed either. What's the point in the resin being porous if it's laid over 100 mm of concrete?

Sponsored Links
There is no point and if you are genuinely concerned about this then why not have a word with your neighbour, he may have been spun the line that what he is doing complies with his planning obligations and the contractor is then doing what he likes. If still no joy then dobbing him in to the planners is your only recourse.
I just don't get why these companies don't do the job properly, they are just asking for problems later on.
IU have a friend in the pattern imprinted concrete business, all his quotes just include it as standard, he reckons that for a standard driveway it adds less than £200 onto the quote.

I thought you didn't need planning permission if the ground sloped away from the highway? (i.e towards the house/garden)

Round my way you need permission for any non permeable hardstanding

Sponsored Links
My concern is that it slopes to both their house and mine - im worried that if I dont address it now, it will be too late next March when the inevitable happens and my house floods.

I thought you didn't need planning permission if the ground sloped away from the highway? (i.e towards the house/garden)

Yes, almost. The criteria is that rain water must not be directed into the public drainage system - via the garden or via the public highway. So this means that it must somehow soak away into the landowners land, or be collected for reuse as part of some water harvesting system.

Yes, almost. The criteria is that rain water must not be directed into the public drainage system - via the garden or via the public highway. So this means that it must somehow soak away into the landowners land, or be collected for reuse as part of some water harvesting system.

Ok, my bad! Thanks for clearing that up!

This is the current Planning legislation relating to driveways / hardstanding:

Class F – hard surfaces incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse

Permitted development

F. Development consisting of—
(a)he provision within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse of a hard surface for any purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such; or
(b)the replacement in whole or in part of such a surface.

Development not permitted
F.1 Development is not permitted by Class F if permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (changes of use).

Conditions
F.2 Development is permitted by Class F subject to the condition that where—
(a)the hard surface would be situated on land between a wall forming the principal elevation of the dwellinghouse and a highway, and
(b)the area of ground covered by the hard surface, or the area of hard surface replaced, would exceed 5 square metres,

either the hard surface is made of porous materials, or provision is made to direct run-off water from the hard surface to a permeable or porous area or surface within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse

In addition, if any substantial changes to levels (raised up or excavated) have been carried out these works may need planning permission, boundary treatments (fences, walls, gates etc.) may also require consent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back