planning issues for garden sheds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I 'm thinking of erecting a wooden shed in our garden dimesions 20 feet by 11 feet. The nearest point of the shed would be 11 feet from our house and the other end of the shed would be approx 8 feet from our high boundry wall which runs alongside a pavement.

Please could someone advise whether I need planning for this?

Sponsored Links
it must be
less than 30square m floor area

less than 4m apex roof and 3m high with a flat roof

more than 1 m from the boundery
more than x m from the public highway
less than half the garden
and not be used for overnight stays

to the best of my recolection ;)

better to ask the planning office arther than the bco

Sponsored Links
ok thanks guys, obvious answer really although theres usually an unspoken situation whereby people just stick them up anyway. I mean how many people observe the 1 metre from boundry rule?

matz said:
ok thanks guys, obvious answer really although theres usually an unspoken situation whereby people just stick them up anyway. I mean how many people observe the 1 metre from boundry rule?

So if I put up a shed it has to be 1m from the fence at the bottom of the garden?

:eek:

bpowell555 said:
matz said:

So if I put up a shed it has to be 1m from the fence at the bottom of the garden?

:eek:

part of the requirements are here its to do with fire
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314269545.html

but as said above 90% of sheds would fail this point in my oppinion

matz said:
I mean how many people observe the 1 metre from boundry rule?
All depends how you get on with your neighbours ;) I have seen loads of sheds on the boundary line. My summer house is but it's a concrete slab at the back so I don't have to treat it :D

what about those pre fab type, concrete section garages? Can they go tight to the boundry and closer to the highway and do they need planning bearing in mind they can be dismantled?

matz said:
what about those pre fab type, concrete section garages? Can they go tight to the boundry and closer to the highway and do they need planning bearing in mind they can be dismantled?

yes thats ok as far as i can see its the fire risk

(a) no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or

(b) which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back