Planning or prior planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I’ve had some drawings made up for planning but been told to to apply for pre planning with the drawings to see what is achieved. I’ve been searching For pre planning but can’t seem to find any information.

It’s for a Double story extension what I’m 100% certain will be knocked back due to light issues. But was hoping they would give me some information what would be approved etc

I’m based in Manchester the drawings I’ve had made is the pre existing plan and the proposed plan

Any info would be very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Who has advised or told you need Pre-planning/application advice?

Pre-planning/application advice is what the majority of Local Planning Authorities offer in some much they provide you with an informal opinion on the proposals prior to a formal Planning application being submitted. Depending on the scale of the proposals, some people would like to receive the initial opinion while others would bypass it and straight through to formal Planning.

LPA’s normally charge for Pre-application advice and timescales vary but is normally around four weeks. That may well be delayed due to the current situation we’re in.

Unfortunately, unlike many local councils, Manchester seem not to have specific, written policy guidelines on domestic extensions. Even if you are lucky enough to get someone to look at your design, you will not get hard-and-fast advice on what will or won't be accepted.
Don't waste time and money on that; get the application in and see what happens, and be prepared to compromise.

Basically a student architect family friend. Drew me some drawings And told me to go in for pre planning. Doing a bit of searching I couldn’t find anything on pre planning. He’s basically done a Me a favour as I have a feeling planning will be rejected. I was hoping they would give me an alternative.. here the drawings are they good enough to go for full planning

Attachments

• A8DD3D43-20C8-4273-9C4F-36B1B717FDEB.jpeg
    A8DD3D43-20C8-4273-9C4F-36B1B717FDEB.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 310
  • A1476086-A227-4793-B83F-DE171601D9C8.jpeg
    A1476086-A227-4793-B83F-DE171601D9C8.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 299
Sponsored Links
Double story extension I know it won’t be approved due to right to light but fort it was worth a try before I make the top half smaller

Attachments

• 6474D88B-C29C-4558-897A-CF8B6C9335D6.jpeg
    6474D88B-C29C-4558-897A-CF8B6C9335D6.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 261
In my opinion, the drawings do need a few changes so it’s clearer as to what’s existing and what’s proposed. You’d only need to dimension (externally) the proposed extension. Dimensions should also be on the block plan. The existing and proposed block/site plans show the red hatching, which is why I think @tony1851 thought it may be a new build as did I. You’d only need to hatch the proposed extension.

The drawings shown a flat roof over the new extension, which the LPA may be against. As it’s on the rear, it’s not normally an issue but the roof would be seen as the property is a corner plot. Any reason why the architect couldn’t have a rear facing gable along with a parapet on the boundary line?

Also in relation to the flat roof, the way it has been drawn is indicating your internal floor to ceiling will be window head height, so approx. 2.1m. You’d normally see and have that in a dormer for a loft conversion but not for first floor Bedrooms.

What windows are to the rear of the adjoining property, are there are any photos? LPA’s have varying policies and guidelines on the siting and design of extensions and something that may impact your proposals are windows of the neighbouring property that serve habitable rooms. This is the outlook, privacy, daylight guidance and is normally done by a 45 degree line on the centre of a neighbouring habitable window.

I will put all these to my friend would it have to be step in slightly for the the gable so the guttering will be on my property. Sorry to sound silly what’s a parapet

here pic on the neighbours property she seems to have had her back door moved and the bottom window bricked up.. boot upstairs windows is obscured glass the Furthest being the bathroom window and the closes is the hallway window

Attachments

• 9A4C3CA1-E7CE-4361-B723-E6462FCBE18E.jpeg
    9A4C3CA1-E7CE-4361-B723-E6462FCBE18E.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 269
No part of the extension should overhang the boundary line, which includes any new foundations, guttering, etc... As you’d normally expect to see a 600mm wide foundation under the new side wall, you’d end up with a gap of at least 150mm between the face of the side wall and the boundary/fence line. Attached is an example of a rear first floor gable with a parapet wall but obviously your parapet wall will be on the right hand side.

Due to the lack of the neighbours’ windows/doors serving habitable rooms, the Council shouldn’t really take into account any loss of daylight.

Attachments

• FDB93EED-4A79-4129-8330-4CEFAD48FD76.jpeg
    FDB93EED-4A79-4129-8330-4CEFAD48FD76.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 257
Do you think I would have good chance getting the full width thank you

He’s basically done a Me a favour as I have a feeling planning will be rejected.
No he's not done you a favour, but just the opposite. And wasted your time and money

Its not just a case of getting some drawings done of what you want, but drawing what the council will allow. He should have read the council's planning polices and designed something (which is different to drawing something) that meets your requirements and the councils standards.

You shouldn't have an attitude of "it will be rejected" either. It's no good putting in an application that you think right from the off will be rejected. You, and you plan drawer need to sort everything out before submitting so that there is confidence that the application will be approved.

If a two story extension with a flatty doesn't get rejected I'll dance the fandango. Student architects are taught (wrongly) to do pre-planning for everything, I see it all the time in the office, pre-planning applied for pathetic little domestic extensions.

He’s done them free of charge I’m not to sure why he put flat roof on the be fair. I was always under the impression that it would be rejected due to the light issue. But as mentioned i might get planning due to it not really affecting them

i might get planning due to it not really affecting them
It's affecting me just by looking at it. I had nightmares last night.

The kid needs to change career while he's still young. Or change his lecturer. Otherwise he'll be dead in no time from starvation or murder by an angry client.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back