Planning Permission about to run out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there. I have planning permission for a loft extension (needed as it's a flat i.e. not permitted dev rights) and is about to lapse.

I've been told I can just start the job a number of ways to keep the planning 'alive' but might need some sort of evidence. I've got structural engineer invoices from before but what do i need to do to officially start. Could I possibly extend the date easily??? runs out in a few days.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to make a "significant" start. In this context it will be something like putting in the steel beams, the staircase, the dormer, altering the roof.

Development just needs to have 'commenced'. Get a Building Regs application in and get a visit recorded on the system. Have you actually commenced? Done any structural work internally?

You can't "extend" the time on the application anymore - it is either commenced within the timeframe or it lapses and you will need to apply again.

- Woody beat me to it by a minute :/

You need to make a "significant" start. In this context it will be something like putting in the steel beams, the staircase, the dormer, altering the roof.

Thanks... that's a fast response! Would that be all of the above or one of the above as we've started the stairs but work halted temporarily.

Sponsored Links
Development just needs to have 'commenced'. Get a Building Regs application in and get a visit recorded on the system. Have you actually commenced? Done any structural work internally?

You can't "extend" the time on the application anymore - it is either commenced within the timeframe or it lapses and you will need to apply again.

- Woody beat me to it by a minute :/
Thanks as well for your info. Only started work a couple of weeks ago with stairs and moving doorway, but had to stop as we couldn't move out to planned temp accommodation so work has halted. If I get a building regs application in now and have all info ready would stairs be sufficient ???

I have a related question. If planning permission expires, is it simply a matter of resubmitting the original plans and paying the fee?

Thanks... that's a fast response! Would that be all of the above or one of the above as we've started the stairs but work halted temporarily.
Any.

The idea is that you show that you are actually going to do the work, and this can be demonstrated by doing something significant enough to the structure. You should have already put in yout notice to building control, but this is not in itself sufficient proof that you have met the planning condition.

TBH, the council (planners) wont normally check, but if they receive a complaint from a neighbour, then they may check this out and cast their eye over the permission and the date it runs out.

@Motman Don't be shy - ask your own question, referencing back to this one if you like.
I’m not shy. Apart from the fact that I have planning permission to build a house where my workshop is that will expire in a couple of years (but I may not be ready to retire before then), the answer to that question may have given the OP another option so entirely relevant to this thread. On the other hand, you could have simply answered yes, no or don’t know - no need for you to be shy about that.....

I have a related question. If planning permission expires, is it simply a matter of resubmitting the original plans and paying the fee?

Yes - Although it's not guaranteed - Local Policy may have moved on or changed, might be more objectors to the proposal now, nearby extensions etc etc. The fee will have also changed although that should be a nominal difference.

Alternatively implement the scheme to secure the permission.

Thanks. Can’t really implement the scheme yet as I’m still working from the workshop on the site that will become the house. Wasn’t really looking to build the property myself, just sell it on with planning permission. The minute I sell, I’m out of a job! Might pay me to wait a while anyway - it’s about 400 yards from the old West Ham football ground which is having a major residential redevelopment to posh flats and this may well gentrify the area making my plot worth a bit more. I’ve got until Dec 2020 before it expires.

OK, no need to be touchy then. You can (and should) still make a 'meaningful start'. Don't risk losing a planning permission.

See my above post. Unfortunately the new footings for the house follow the same outline as the single storey workshop so demolition of the workshop will be needed to be considered a meaningful start to lay footings substantial enough to build a house on. I can’t think of any other way around that.

Last edited:
See my above post. Unfortunately the new footings for the house follow the same outline as the single storey workshop so demolition of the workshop will be needed to be considered a meaningful start to lay footings substantial enough to build a house on. I can’t think of any other way around that.

Unfortunately you're probably right. There may be ways around it - There has been cases when the creation of an access track has been deemed commencement (and agreed at appeal). Depending on the site's permissions and makeup, You could also consider knocking down the workshop, digging the footings for the house, getting them inspected and then putting up a workshop (or lean to.. Dutch Barn-esque development etc) on top of the footings to continue your work. The additional of the workshop afterwards may / may not be PD then, might not ever get picked up etc. This would need a proper site investigation though which is impossible to give without site specifics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back