Planning permission examples of render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been granted planning permission and am about to go for building regs and have been told I need the following :

examples of the type of external render, I was expecting to get a builder in to render the annexe to a smooth finish and have it painted white to match the house. My question do I have to supply something rendered and painted to the coucil. My architech said i can get examples form manafacturers but how if i just intend it rendered as stated above.

Any advice would help

Thanks
Cliff

Sponsored Links
This is almost always put as a condition.

Council planning department offices must be awash with samples of bricks and tiles- what they do with them goodness knows.

Personally, I wouldn't bother; just do it as it is on the plan.

We are often asked (as a condition) to provide sample panels for brickwork where it is supposed to match an adjoining building. If the brickwork is an exact match - i.e. same brick, same mortar - I usually use the actual building as the sample. So we build a couple of metres and ask the planner to look at it. Same thing could apply here. If you are confident that the new render will 100% match the existing and be acceptable to the planner just render up one wall and ask them to discharge the condition off of that.

Thanks for the quick reply and advice I have since found a website with examples of render that when viewed are really clear I have asked if this will be good enough. I will upload this pdf to photobucket tonight and upload a link tomorrow to get your advice.

Cliff

Sponsored Links
If i was constructing a building that was being rendered and painted white the same as existing, i would ask the planners to get off their erses and go have a look or use a tinsy winsy bit of imagination. :rolleyes:

These conditions demonstrate just how stupid some planners are. They ask for an example of render but not an example of the plasterers work. It could be a right state, and nothing like the example

Same with bricks. They can be laid sideways, on edge, back to front, chipped to high heaven, smudged as anything, and there is nothing in the condition to prevent it as long as the actual brick is approved

These little power trips can be ignored.

Same with bricks. They can be laid sideways, on edge, back to front, chipped to high heaven, smudged as anything, and there is nothing in the condition to prevent it as long as the actual brick is approved

Not entirely true, as the planning office can hold you to the sample, so if they come along and look at the completed work and it doesn't look like the sample they approved then you can receive enforcement action. If we were using the builders you are (using patchwork and broken brickwork) then that would be a good thing... :LOL:

A lot of the time though, these types of conditions are a result of poorly designed, vague drawings...

Other than that though, yes, it is very power trippy to ask for these sorts of things for developments such as domestic extensions. I'd go as far as to say its actually bordering on corrupt... as these sorts of conditions are supposed to be dealt with under another type of planning application, which of course costs the applicant more in fees.

Re-reading your original post, it's not clear if this is a planning condition or a request from building control. If it's a planning condition - i.e. one listed in your approval - then I would not advise ignoring it. Just render one wall and get them to sign it off before you complete the rest. If it's building control tell them they can inspect the render when it's on the wall.

Not entirely true, as the planning office can hold you to the sample

How can they hold to the sample, when say, the sample is one single brick or tile, or small piece of render

No condition specifies quality of work

In answer to John's question yes it a request from Planning, but i have been given approval already so am confused. I think I will go down the route of get some one in for a quote and see if they can supplya sample.
I wanted to give all the samples at once as get charged £85 everytime i submit something new.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Cliff

In answer to John's question yes it a request from Planning, but i have been given approval already so am confused. I think I will go down the route of get some one in for a quote and see if they can supplya sample.
I wanted to give all the samples at once as get charged £85 everytime i submit something new.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Cliff

Are you sure it's £85? Most authorities charge less for discharging householder conditions.
I shouldn't pay that amount until you've checked; it's unlikely they will tell you if you pay the wrong amount!

The architect who did my plans has told me he has checked and thats why he recommended everything submitted at once for one £85 fee.

You wont believe the problems i am having getting a sample of a render finish.

I fail to see how anyone can take a sample of render to the council for comparison purposes. The finish of the render will be affected by the substrate.

Is the OP supposed to render a bit of block, then chisel it off and dutifully take it to the council offices?

And be charged £28 for the privilage?
Just ignore it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back