Planning permission for detached garage applied for,can I start building as Ihave PD rights already?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just thought I’d see the general thoughts on this. I have applied for planning permission for a single detached garage, only thing that is not in line with PD rights is the height I want (3.3m rather than 2.5m), whatever happens I’ll be building the garage anyway, can I start building up to 2.5m whilst I’m waiting for the planning permission, or would it be wise for any reason to wait until I’ve got permission?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Any works carried out prior to receiving approval are done so at your own risk. However, there isn’t really anything in theory wrong with what you’re proposing, therefore enabling you to at least make a start.

Any works carried out prior to receiving approval are done so at your own risk. However, there isn’t really anything in theory wrong with what you’re proposing, therefore enabling you to at least make a start.
Thanks, I can't really see any issues either, but wondered if I was missing anything. I can't imagine it having any impact on the decision or the planning offer being fussy about it as I won't be going over 2.5 metres until I have the planning permission :)

The only thing that could ‘potentially’ be an issue is if you didn’t actually have PD rights or the property is located within an area having PD restrictions, but I’m sure you’ve already checked that?

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for your help, I think I've checked it as far as I can, I live in Manchester, I've found that Manchester council have an article 4 in place to prevent commercial premises being converted into flats in some areas and a few other things but nothing that would affect me that I can find. I've also heard permitted development rights can be removed in the property deeds, but not sure if that's A)true B)common C)likely, it's a relatively new estate I live on, built around 15 years ago. I was going to wait until the planning officer visits and ask them if there was a problem with starting under PD rights, but I'm not sure if they'll definitely visit in person, if so I don't know at what stage (it could be near the end of the process anyway?) and if so they may not tell me they're coming because they can access where I want to build by themselves.

Be careful - if the development is relatively recent, the council can withdraw PD rights when granting the original planning permission.

The majority of what you need to know in relation to your PD rights would be included on the original Planning approval for the development. If it was built only 15 years ago, then your LPA should have a copy of the approval notice online along with the various conditions. You’d be looking for anything to do with Class E.

I've checked the original planning permission and supplementary documents, I can't find anything that would indicate permitted development rights will not be in place after the development, which is good news :)

If they moan about the increased height from ground level, just tank the exterior walls and raise the ground height with top soil and turf, problem solved ;)

If they moan about the increased height from ground level, just tank the exterior walls and raise the ground height with top soil and turf, problem solved ;)

I would advise against raising ground height .8m.. it should be built from the original land height to be granted Permitted Development (this stops people raising ground 20 foot high and then constructing buildings within the 2.5m height restrictions)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back