Planning permission required for drop kerb- zebra crossing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wondered if anyone had any ideas about this?

I want to create a parking space in front of my house. It's currently a front garden but as I have no other parking I want to use this space. I live in a house on a C road, therefore I have to apply for planning permission.

My problem is that for some unknown reason someone decided to stick a zebra crossing outside my front gate (before I purchased the property), and I am not sure whether this is going to mean an application is automatically rejected. I have tried asking the council if there are any restrictions on vehicular access next to zebra crossings but, as helpful as ever, they say they cannot comment as it's something that would be assessed on application. In other words they want their money.

Looking out onto the road the actual crossing and flashing light end in line with my front gate. Then there's the rest of my front fence alongside the white zig zag line which is what we would need to cross over to park if we got permission. It is quite tight and I think we may only be able to enter and exit in a vehicle from one direction.

So any ideas? Would this be a straight no? Any advice is appreciated...

Sponsored Links
You're asking if you can create an access across the zigzags? I would imagine that'd be an automatic no.

Yes, the access would be over the zig zag line. Obviously we wouldn't be stopping on them but we would need to go over. To the other side of the crossing, so looking onto it and going left there is a crossroads which the zig zag goes passed. That's used all the time compared to a parking spot used twice a day so didn't know if there'd be a difference.

Yes, the access would be over the zig zag line. Obviously we wouldn't be stopping on them but we would need to go over. To the other side of the crossing, so looking onto it and going left there is a crossroads which the zig zag goes passed. That's used all the time compared to a parking spot used twice a day so didn't know if there'd be a difference.

You're being logical. I shouldn't expect the same from the council!

Sponsored Links
If your entrance would be within the zone of the crossing marking I think you'll be out of luck. If it is just within the zig zag you should be ok. That's assuming the road is a 30mph limit. This is based on South Gloucestershire highways general advice. It's not guaranteed of course - dropped kerbs can be refused for all sorts of reasons.

I have tried asking the council if there are any restrictions on vehicular access next to zebra crossings but, as helpful as ever, they say they cannot comment as it's something that would be assessed on application. In other words they want their money.
Actually I think this means they will consider applications on a case by case basis instead of having a blanket rule which is surely more logical?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back