zebra crossing

hermes

Digressing a little, isn't it also true that pedestrians also have right of way when crossing the entrance of a minor road, ie. cars turning off a main road must give way to pedestriand crossing the minor one?
Whilst in Canada over xmas, pedestrians get the cross signal, cars turning get a signal but the pedestrian has the right of way. It works well..
Whilst all motorist are pedestrians...all pedistrians are not motorists.

Sponsored Links
empip said:
big-all said:
andy said:
that doesnt give them right of way. it means they have right of way once traffic has either stopped for them, or there is a gap and they start to cross.

once a pedestrian shows intent to cross the traffic should stop as the pedestrian then has the right off way once the cars clear the crossing[including zig zags]any cars outside the zigzags must give way
or thats my understanding of the situation

Hey Al, if you are driving, approaching a zebra crossing, within the zig-zags --- someone crossing -- better not not take 'em out .. You'll be for it if you do !!

167: You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines....

168: In queuing traffic, you should keep the crossing clear...

BUT

215: You MUST NOT stop or park on
a pedestrian crossing, including the area marked by the zig-zag lines (see Rule 167)

171: ........ As you approach a zebra crossing
look out for people waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross.
you MUST give way when someone has moved onto a crossing
allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads

;)

it used to be if the traffic hasnt reached the studs in the road they must stop and if memory serves me correctly they were closer than the zigzags :LOL: :LOL: ;)

poshman said:
hi, my local council have painted black and white stripes ( 2 lots ) across the road outside the railway station. i presume they are called zebra crossings but i consider them dangerous because

1 .. there isnt any flashing becons

2.. no zig zag lines in the road to stop cars parking, therfore all the taxis actually park along the kerb. and the crossings i nearly got run over the other day as i stepped out to cross the road !!!!

should i mail the local council before somebody gets injured
cheers P M

I hate paying council bills.
I mean.. why use black paint?

Sponsored Links
I always remember going up ashfield rd ...
my youth 17 ...
in my sis car ... an our Janet (RIP!),... my Hero... telling me how to drive etc an 1st clutch this the warning , pointing to them but mind off the road ,

HIGh PITCHED ..SCREAMM ....HEEEELP

Janet in her lil 127 fiat (yellow) had missed the women on zebra crossing by inches ....
after she turned to me still driving a said "you see these cretins can get themselves killed , zebras are NOT =magic carpets you know ... "

[/quote]
Whilst in Canada over xmas, pedestrians get the cross signal, cars turning get a signal but the pedestrian has the right of way. It works well..
Whilst all motorist are pedestrians...all pedistrians are not motorists.[/quote]

When we were on holiday in Vancouver, if you walked up to a supermarket entrance road which crossed the pavement cars would reverse to let you past. Also on suburban streets if you looked as if you were going to cross traffic would pull up

If i was approaching a zebra crossing i would sh#t my self, could you imagine the state of your car if you hit the poor thing, I would even hate to drive across a pelican crossing, because i love wildlife :LOL:

markie said:
If i was approaching a zebra crossing i would sh#t my self, could you imagine the state of your car if you hit the poor thing, I would even hate to drive across a pelican crossing, because i love wildlife :LOL:

Not to mention these:

eventsfmen.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back