Accessing my driveway

3 May 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a house, and it has a drive with two gates, but no dropped kerb in front of it. I have been parking my car on it and recently received a letter from the council saying it was illegal and I could be prosecuted, which I was unaware of. I had always intended to get a dropped kerb anyway, and am putting my application in. It's a bit annoying, as some mardy neighbour must have shopped me, why, I don't know. It is especially annoying as there are other people along the road who do exactly the same thing, one just 2 doors away!

Why is it illegal to cross a kerb to get to your property, but it seems to be ok to drive along the footpath and park on the footpath, as most other people along my road do?

As I'm on a main road, I have to get planning permission, does anyone know how long that usually takes? Surely it can't be too long for just a dropped kerb? I don't think I should have a problem as there have been plenty of other kerbs done down the road. I have a manhole cover on the pavement, I think phone line, but that won't stop me getting one will it?
Sponsored Links
you probably dont have a right of access across the pavement.
It's extremely rare not to be granted right of access to a property ... The right of access should actually have formed part of the original planning application for the property (or the drive if it were added subsequently) and the manhole should not cause any problems.

I wouldn't worry about this, just go through the motions and access will probably be granted no problem.

Timescales vary across LA districts ... Try their website as they often give guidance.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply! Thing is, it's an end of terrace house, and these houses run along this main road, and they were built in the 1930's when I suppose vehicle access wasn't much of an issue. There are plenty of other houses down the road who have had dropped kerbs done, so I don't see why I should have any trouble.
Sponsored Links
you answered your own question i think.

if other houses have already done it,they wont turn you down.that tends to be how it works
Cheers. The only other thing is there is a telegraph pole in the pavement about 2.5m from what would be one of the edges of the dropped kerb/driveway. But again, that surely wouldn't be in the way I don't think.
The pole won't be a problem but if the cover of the 'manhole' is going to be driven over and bear the weight of a vehicle, then you may have to pay the owner to have it upgraded. On top of paying the council for dropping the kerb...
I suppose that's fair enough, however it would end up being in between the wheels, but if it's going to be broken, it is more likely to be broken by the people who regularly park on it each day to pop across to the shop or post a letter!
I got slapped with a ticket only last year, as I was working in someones house, and I parked across thier dropped kerb in front of thier drive, I couldnt park anyway else, there was just nowhere to park, the householder only had room to park thier car, so they said it was okay to park my van across thier drive on the dropped kerb.

I saw the TW, and ran out as he was slapping a ticket on my van, I explained the reasons, and householder gave me permission, but 'jobsworth' wasnt interested, as he had already written it out.

He said he was sorry, (smarmy git), he even tried to to chat me up :eek: cheeky s*d. :evil:
I think spice is sexy. I'd love to 'meter' :LOL:
LA's usually charge a few hundred for dropping the kerb.
Dropping kerbs - Bath & NE Somerset say...
You will need:
Permission from the Council by completing the application pack.
An NRSWA (New Roads and Street Works Act) accredited contractor to carry out the work
Planning permission if necessary

The underlined part sounds like 'kerching' - again...

:D :D
Sponsored Links