Planning Permission - Side Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my house has a side extension built by the previous owners. I live in an AONB (designated land according to planning rules).

The side extension runs the entire length of the house and is basically the kitchen. The previous owners also then built on top of that side extension to enlarge the master bedroom and make an en-suite bathroom.

I want to build a further single storey extension on the rear of just the side extension to make the kitchen bigger.

Under planning rules, I could build a 'rear' extension under permitted development (subject to size, etc.). Side extensions on designated land however require permission. If I want to extend the existing side extension to the rear, for the purposes of planning, I have a feeling that it will count as a side extension and will therefore require permission.

Does anyone out there have a view on this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Permitted Development only relates to the original building. You cannot therefore build an extension onto a previous extension under Permitted Development, but would have to make a full planning application.

In a normal context, I think you can extend an extension under PD.. it's just this particular case that you cannot because an extension is being propose that is more left/right than the leftmost/rightmost part of the original dwelling and it wouldhence be a side extension that you must get planning for

To PD extend an extension, the entire enlarged part (existing extension + new bits under PD) of the dwellinghouse needs to be within the limits prescribed by PD.. If the existing extension is too big to make it PD'able it needs a planning app

Incorrect. You cannot use PD on an existing extension. The term "original house" is there for a reason. What you would need to do is demolish the extension & then apply for PD from scratch.

Sponsored Links
Incorrect. You cannot use PD on an existing extension. The term "original house" is there for a reason. What you would need to do is demolish the extension & then apply for PD from scratch.

You don't apply for PD. If it's permitted it's permitted.

Assuming you have your PD rights intact, look here for guidance on what is and is not likely to be permitted:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf

Cheers
Richard

You know full well I was referring to applying for a CoL :rolleyes:

I disagree. On page 20 of the linked document - the example wanted to PD an extension on top of an existing extension that is too large to be PD and it is thus claimed that the new extension would not be allowed because the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse (which includes the existing extension + the proposed storey) is not wholly within the scope of PD. I don't even think you'd need to demolish the entire extension - just cut it down to be within scope and then PD on top of it

If the existing extension were already within the PD limits, I think you can build another PD compliant storey on top of it.

I'd like to know, an extension was PP'ed because it was outside PD limits, but then the PD limits changed to bring it within, could more PD then be applied to extend the house further?

What you appear to be saying (and forgive me if I misunderstood) is that any extension to a house that is applied for and permitted in the normal PP way, cancels any PD rights in relation to the house, and this I disagree with (unless the PP for the extension has a clause revoking the PD rights)

If the existing extension were already within the PD limits, I think you can build another PD compliant storey on top of it.

I beg your pardon. Yes, that is correct.

I'd like to know, an extension was PP'ed because it was outside PD limits, but then the PD limits changed to bring it within, could more PD then be applied to extend the house further?

On a similar note to that above, then I would agree you could go above, providing the extensions are within the PD limits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back