planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our architect did not apply for planning permission for our extension as he believed it was not needed. Following a question to the council by someone a few houses away, we now find we need it. The roof is on, windows, door in etc etc. The architect has posted the application for permission and our neighbours will be contacted for comment.
Our architect says dont worry as the building regs are all passed and the building does not fall foul of the building plans.

Should we be worried?

Sponsored Links
That depends on what the extension looks like and if its in keeping with the rest of the house and whether it fits in with Local Planning Policy etc, can't say anymore without you providing a better description of the works. If it were me I'd be uber peed off with my Architect though its usually pretty clear if planning permission is required or not and if there is any doubt the advice should have been to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development or the risk of not doing so explained to the client which does not appear to have happened here.

Why did your architect think it did not require planning permission? This is what you can do without planning permission: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

I don't know how much you paid your Architect in fees but I hope he didn't charge you for the planning application and paid the planning fee too? Least he could do IMO!

Thanks for this, we have paid the fee and not too happy, the ext. fits the rest of the house with a pitched roof like the main roof, however we think the height at the top is over the 4 metre limit for a not reqd. permission. I do think it will be passed but the datefor the decision is 11.2.11..

Thanks for this, we have paid the fee and not too happy, the ext. fits the rest of the house with a pitched roof like the main roof, however we think the height at the top is over the 4 metre limit for a not reqd. permission.
When you say you paid the fee do you mean you paid the local authority fee or you paid the architect an additional fee to submit it? Like I said if I made such an obvious blunder I'd be uber embarrassed and would have coughed up myself.

So its a single storey side extension then? What did his drawings say/measure with regards to height then? Was it built to the drawings or has the builder built it too high?

Like I said if I made such an obvious blunder I'd be uber embarrassed and would have coughed up myself.

Sponsored Links
Our architect says dont worry as the building regs are all passed and the building does not fall foul of the building plans.

Should we be worried?

Well, yes you should be worried as conforming to building regs is easy and has nothing at all to do with whether the extension conforms to you local planning policy

If the extension does not meet local policy, then you may be required to alter or remove it completely.

Minor deviations to policy which cause little or no impact on the neighbours, will be accepted, but ultimately the risk of not getting planning approval remains

Planners can require roofs to be lowered by the smallest amount if the height is considered to impact on neighbours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back