Planning permisssion for a conservortary on barn conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Been to visit a barn conversion thats been finished tempted to buy:cool: , its a little bit small but got a 40ft shelter on the side, so the question is whats the likelyhood of adding a small conservortary to the side of the barn conversion in the position of the 40 ft shelter area? or is it a no go at all.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
To me, a 40ft conservatory is quite large :rolleyes:

In some cases, you could argue you're replacing an existing structure/building but it seems the shelter is just an open temporary structure while the conservatory would be deemed as a permanent structure. Planning permission may be required if it does not fall within the same (permitted development) conditions as that for a normal extension...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonconservatory/

It may be best to check with your LA to see if there are any restrictions, which would prevent you from carrying out the works.

First thing is check to see what was applied for in the original conversion and what, if anything, was refused. You might find they tried to get an extension but it was not allowed.

It's highly likely that PD rights are withdrawn. Check that second. If not, work out what you could build under PD. If no PD you won't know what you can build until you make a planning application.

Generally beware. Extensions on barn conversions are hard to get and my guess is it would be there now if the LA would allow it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback lads i will dig about the net for the property and see what i can find on the councils website.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back