Planning query

Just for information guys, Permitted Development has always been there. It's just that October 2008 saw changes that made the PD limits based on different criteria

So... you mean like I have already said?

PD has always been around, but changes were made on the 1st October 2008 which set down some guidelines as to what can and can't be done under PD.

Is there a parrot in the room? :p

I was merely adding to it and pointing out how the new criteria have changed and also the fact that it doesn't apply in some cases.

Sponsored Links
This doesn't apply for areas such as Conservation areas and National Parks.
Cheers,
Nick

Just to clarify; PD rights do apply to conservation areas and national parks (known as article 1(5) land) but the rules are modified.

Cheers,
Nick

Just to clarify; PD rights do apply to conservation areas and national parks (known as article 1(5) land) but the rules are modified.

Quite right John, and they can be much more restrictive. They seem to vary in different Conservation areas too.

Sponsored Links
Haha! I'm getting quite a lot of "d'ai ja vu" in this thread :p

Cheers,
Nick

Quite right John, and they can be much more restrictive. They seem to vary in different Conservation areas too.

No, PD rights in conservation areas are the same across England, except in instances where a planning permission has specifically removed some or all of the PD rights on a property, or where an Article 4 Direction has been imposed to remove PD rights across a specific geographical area.

I'll now retire to a safe distance to let you all continue to argue who provided the best advice first. ;)

I think at this stage it's imperative to point out that PD existed before October 2008.

If this is the buyers solicitor it may be their way of reducing the price.

Before anybody can give an answer they need to know: the location of the property, its use, the use of the structure in question, if in a conservation or other protected area, protective covenants etc, size of the structure and its size in relation to the garden, its distance from other buildings and boundaries.

I have told so many people:
The only person/organization to approach regarding planning permission is the Local Authority.

Before anybody can give an answer they need to know: the location of the property, its use, the use of the structure in question, if in a conservation or other protected area, protective covenants etc, size of the structure and its size in relation to the garden, its distance from other buildings and boundaries.

The only person/organization to approach regarding planning permission is the Local Authority.
Thanks for taking part, have you actually read any of the thread? Anyway I agree, I have no idea know why there's a Planning Forum on this website, fancy people wanting to understand the system! :rolleyes:

The only person/organisation to approach regarding planning permission is the Local Authority.

Organisation is spelt with an "s", not a "z" :p

Anyway, it depends what kind of information/details people are wanting. If they're wanting free advice, then anybody who has some knowledge and experience will suffice. If it's to do with actual planning history, site potential, etc... then yes... the LPA is primarily the only point of contact.

If it's more than 4 years old you don't need to know any of those things. You just need clear evidence to prove it is more than 4 years old.

Your advice to ONLY approach the local authority regarding planning matters is, in itself, very poor advice. Local authorities do sometimes give good advice but they also frequently give very poor advice and none of it comes with any kind of professional indemnity insurance.

To clear up a few points;

Spelling with z or s depends on wether you prefer french or english derivation.

I stand by what I said regarding approaching the Local Authority. It is not a questioin of whether an extension is suitable but whether legal or not and the best person to answer that is a professional planning advisor. They come free at the Local Authority or you can pay a private practice planning advisor.

I was not aware that the advice given on this site came with professional indemnity insurance.

I also question whether this site is the best place for the minefield that is planning advice. I know of a structural engineer who obtained and acted on advice obtained from a web site, he is now facing a £7K fine for negligence.

DavidWP, firstly can I say hello and welcome. It's good to have you 'on board' as it were. Secondly, you sound like you've got a great sense of humour, do you fancy getting together for a pint sometime?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back