Planning query

David, you're right. People look for casual advice on open forums and it does not come with PI insurance. And it's obviously true that not all the advice is good. But planning departments do not always get it right - as I said, they frequently get it wrong - and they certainly do not always give the best advice to benefit the householder. Your advice to only approach the planning department remains poor advice in my opinion but I notice that you have now revised it to include planning consultants which I agree with.

Advice from open web forums can be useful but unlike your structural engineer friend I would advise people to be sensible about it and not go off taking critical decisions without professional input.

Sponsored Links
DavidWP, firstly can I say hello and welcome. It's good to have you 'on board' as it were. Secondly, you sound like you've got a great sense of humour, do you fancy getting together for a pint sometime?

Jeds
Possibly, I'm in Birmingham.

It is not a questioin of whether an extension is suitable but whether legal or not and the best person to answer that is a professional planning advisor. They come free at the Local Authority or you can pay a private practice planning advisor.
There are many knowledgable members on here, if you'd ever gone to discuss your planning requirements with the wet behind the ears duty officer you'll find they often know less than you and the 'advice' given out has so many caveats its not worth toffee! If you want official advice you will often have to pay, several of the authorities in the westcountry will offer official pre-planning advice only at a price, not to mention waiting up to 8 weeks for a response. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
FAO DavidWP:

On the plumbing forum, you'll find professional plumbers and people who've DIYd it.

On the electrics forum, you'll find professional sparks and people who've DIYd it.

On the planning forum, you'll find professional planners and those who've DIYd it.

People come on here to share opinions, experiences and to intepret the various shades of grey that make up the planning system. To suggest that the only advice worth listening to comes from local authority planners is absolute nonsense. Likewise, the comment from another that you ought to pay a private sector planner for advice is, at best, naive.

I work in development control in a busy central London authority. I certainly don't get it right all of the time - and neither do my colleagues. But I post on here from time to time when I think I've got something worth offering. For the record, some of the worst planning advice is dished out by the major planning consultancies with whom we deal on a regular basis. And you pay top dollar for it.

So the point is that people post on here to solicit opinions. Sometimes there's a consensus, often there isn't. That's life.

Jeds: let us all know how your evening goes with DavidWP.

Yeh I was wondering where jeds came into this meeting :LOL:

FAO Spongobongo
Maybe I ought to expand. I agree this forum is for people to obtain a consensus of opinion and then act on it.
I did not intend that the only people to talk to are LA planners but I still maintain that, as the planning authority has the final say (barring appeal) on what is built and what is not, if you do not know what will be approved it makes sense to speak to them early in the process with a set of accurate drawing. The fact that these drawing will most likely have to be drawn up by a person conversant with building design and construction puts the average joe in the position where he/she has to pay a planning consultant.
It is not a case of good or bad advice, but who do you obtain the advice from. A planning consultant should be conversant with what the LA will find acceptable, if not then they will most likely speak to the LA anyway so it makes little difference. If the client does not want to accept the LA's guidelines/advice then an consultant to argue the case will probably be necessary.

I also don't think a public forum is any place for a slanging match either, so no more from me - and thats enough thinking for today.

I did not intend that the only people to talk to are LA planners
Short memory?
I have told so many people:
The only person/organization to approach regarding planning permission is the Local Authority.
The fact that these drawing will most likely have to be drawn up by a person conversant with building design and construction puts the average joe in the position where he/she has to pay a planning consultant.
So does that apply to the average Joe doing their own brickwork or plumbing etc then?
I also don't think a public forum is any place for a slanging match either, so no more from me - and thats enough thinking for today.
Wrong again! :LOL:

this_thread_rocks.jpg

:LOL:

Spogobongo re Mar 15
Ok, let me expand my thoughts rather than trying to condense them into as few lines as possible.

Firstly, I make no distinction between who consults the LA planning officers, the applicant or an agent.

Submitting a planning application is a legal process, seeking advice on it cannot be compared to asking for advice on plumbing. If I ask for opinions on the use of copper or stainless steel ch pipes, that is what I will get, an opinion. If I ask for information on the performance of said pipes I will be seeking more factual information and answers must be factually correct. It is not a matter of opinion whether planning consent is required but of fact and the provider of that information has a duty of care to the client - the person asking the question on this forum. Whether you receive payment or not is immaterial.

Before the amount of PD allowed on a particular house can be determined certain information about the building must be known; is it in a protected area, green belt, conservation area etc; is it a listed building, is it controlled by a trust or estate with restrictive covenants imposed, has a previous approval imposed restrictions eg Article 4 direction, is the house in single or multi-occupation. None of the submitted questions have clarified these points and to give advice without such knowledge is probably not the best thing as you may be liable should the consultee suffer loss by acting on (your) incorrect advice. (LA POs are in an elevated position, they cannot be sued for incorrect advice). Therefore I maintain that a satisfactory answer cannot be given without speaking to the LA or a local planning consultant, which leaves the questions of which one and when.

Given that a planning decision cannot be a DIY operation, it can only be given by the LA, at sometime in the process the LA must be consulted; either before the application is submitted, by way of an application, or after a refusal. If an application is unacceptable it will be refused or you will be asked to withdraw it, in either case you will have to speak to the LA to determine what amendments to make. Any subsequent application will take another 2 months to determine and the applicant has still only got what the LA will allow. On the other hand if you speak to the LA first and submit a satisfactory proposal you get a first time approval (and if you are an agent a good reputation for first time approvals to boot).

To me it is no contest, the LA applies the rules and gives you written advice that can be used to support the application. So unless you are reasonably certain the application will be approved or absolutely certain it is PD, the earlier you consult the LA the better it is.

PS DevilDamo
Is that you?

You're on a hiding to nothing. Please go away if you cannot usefully advise on DIYers on planning queries you have no business posting in the Planning section of the Forum.

afterall

I, er, thought this site was for the customer.

As I said - I thought this site was for the customer.

However spongbongo seemed to be looking for justification of my advice to speak to the planning officers, I would have pm'ed him/her but there does not seem to be that option.

So anyway...........turns out it doesn't concern planning permission after all...
its a restrictive covenant problem.......but thats another thread..... :LOL: :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back