Plaster blown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plaster on my bathroom walls is completely shot and going back to blockwork.

Walls will be tiled so only needs to be good enough for that. Was thinking of just undercoat plaster on blockwork. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
undercoat and skim, if you please! without the skim, suction will be horrendous let alone the finish.

the skim does not have to be brilliant but its presence will make the tilers life easier.

you could d&d and the tiler could fix direct to the boards. don't forget to include aquapanel boards where necessary, if going down the dry lining method.

Wont tiles stick to undercoat plaster then-if not why not?

Thought about dot & Dab but small enough as it is!

I've gone on to rendering (sand and cement) bathroom walls to get shot of lightweight plasters, more trouble than they are worth.

If its just patches in light weight then ok use gyproc based plasters, maybe a one coat to make it easier, but as said, you do need to seal the new plaster.

Sponsored Links
Wall are breeze block. I take it i can use one coat on that?

As for aqua board is it really essential in wet areas if whole bathroom is tiled, grouted and sealed. Seems like additional money for nothing as already waterproof.

As for aqua board is it really essential in wet areas if whole bathroom is tiled, grouted and sealed. Seems like additional money for nothing as already waterproof.
Practically all of the products that say “waterproof” including anything other than epoxy adhesive/grouts are only waterproof in that they won’t disintegrate if they get wet, they are STILL permeable & so WILL let moisture through. If the tile base underneath is carp plasterboard or a highly absorbent render or base plaster it will grow mould like you wouldn’t believe. I always finish skim before tiling but if in doubt, tank it; it’s the only way you will guarantee to keep the moisture & mould out & the tiles on the wall. Always use trade quality adhesive/grout not the cheap DIY stuff; do yourself a favour & read some of the archive posts.

Yep, as long as you prep the blocks first.

Yes, deffo use an aqua panel or similar as wall tiling is never fully water proof. Light weight plasters and plaster board absorb water like its in a drought!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back