Plaster different in sunlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replastered my living room and painted, everything was fine.Ceiling and walls smooth and flat.I am a bit of a perfectionist. Today with the sun shining in i can see ripples on the external door wall(where the sun is shining).I have plastered a fair bit.These are not trowel lines etc. They cannot be seen in any other light.You cant feel them either. :confused: Strange.Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Get over it.

It is not unusual to see some degree of undulation in certain light.

Maybe i am being too fussy. The wall looks perfect until the sun shines on it then it looks bad.Just seems strange thats all.Wife thinks im being too fussy as well.But it does look like bad plastering when the suns on it.

Try re painting with a dead flat matt ;) Absolute classic for "bumps" is a hospital floor - where they polish them incessantly - yet the screed/ tiling is fine in reality.

Sponsored Links
Sunlight is the most demanding Clerk Of Works their is. A strong light shining obliquely over a wall surface will allow you to see the smallest areas of imperfection.

for example, get a hold a torch, the stronger the better, choose a wall in your house and holding the light near to the surface of the wall, so the beam is almost parallel to the wall, switch the light on, Hey presto, it is a disaster, bumps, nibs, undulations, you name it. To make the nasties go away shine the torch at right angles to the wall and it will all disappear.

Same effect with wall paper, shine the light as above and every joint will jump out at you, as well [in older property ] some of the plaster imperfections but under normal light all looks well, or acceptably so

If you want flat and perfect, you need to buy something made in a factory by robots

Or buy some curtains

However I do recall "the old days" when a Clerk of Works ruled the sites and the tolerance for browned and skimmed walls was something like no more than 1mm over a 1800mm straight edge.
Then someone invented plasterboard

If you want flat and perfect, you need to buy something made in a factory by robots

Or buy some curtains

However I do recall "the old days" when a Clerk of Works ruled the sites and the tolerance for browned and skimmed walls was something like no more than 1mm over a 1800mm straight edge.
Then someone invented plasterboard

I'd agree with that Woody. I remember a Clerk of Works who said he'd never check a plasterer's wall unless something caught his eye,, then he would,, fair enough!!

I remember one CoW who didn't like a postcard going under a 6ft straight edge on the spread's walls. If the old standards were applied now most of the new builds wouldn't get out of the footings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back