Plaster not gone off right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to patch plaster the bathroom wall where i'd removed tiles - it was down to the brick in places. I wasn't sure what plaster to use so i got a bag of browning. i didn't see the need to apply a finish coat as i was going to put tiles back on. But, the plaster has dried very powdery and hasn't hardened properly. it's crumbly and dusty. i don't know what happened - i mixed it well (just to whipped cream consistency).

My mate's a plasterer and he said he's never had that and he suggested I use "bonding" instead as he reckons browning is "sh**e".

Any ideas as to what went wrong?

Thanks,
Gcol

Sponsored Links
it sounds like there was too much suction in the background, did you soak the background?did you you rub it up with a float afterwards, browning doesnt really set that hard.

you should have used hardwall or bonding and soaked the wall prior to 1st coat, perhaps add a little pva to the water

Sponsored Links
I pulled the dodgy plaster off and got my mate to come round and sort it. 2 coats of PVA then 2 layers of bonding. He uses a little drywall adhesive in the mix too.
He reckons it went wrong because:
1. I only applied one (thick) layer
2. I used browning instead of bonding
3. I tried to rub it up whilst it was still wet.

Oh well, we live and learn!
Thanks for the replies.
Gcol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back