Plaster or render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a fair trawl through the searches but not quite found the answer I'm after so any advice here would be appreciated.

I've an old house, internal walls are rendered (probably lime). Had a DPC injected and need to patch up said render from behind ripped out skirtings, where it has blown etc, down to about 2" from the concrete floor slab to prevent bridging of the DPC.

The DPC injection company recommended the use of a 3:1 sharp sand:cement render for this, and stated quite clearly that lightweight bonding plasters were not suitable for this application.

So, is a 3:1 washed sharp sand:cement mix the best material for this job? (followed by a skim with multi-finish)

Secondly, I have a similar job with patching/replacing the lime render on some first floor walls. Given that this is nowhere near the DPC then could I get away with a bonding plaster for this, again followed with a skim?

I do have some plastering experience already :)

Any advice appreciated as I want to get this right. Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi your post question is exactly our situation, new DPC injection downstairs (1900s cottage) upstairs where we are decorating now has mainly failing lime plaster with areas where it has been patched with more modern hard plaster.

What did you do in the end upstairs? replace all the plaster with lime, renew all with modern plaster, or just patch the areas that are failing.

It will be interesting to know what you did and if it worked?

S

You need to replaster with washed plastering sand 4-1 and skim same with thistle board finish. On the upper floor bonding coat will do and board finish or multi. Make sure you damp down the walls before you float them. S/S :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back