plaster or skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..

I've recently kitted out the utility room with plasterboard (gypsum) and taped the joins.
Im a bit confused at what my next step is!

Do I plaster or skim? Or is this the same thing!? Is there any prep work I need to do first? Ive read i possibly may need to pva the walls? Last time I used this was many years ago in school for glueing bits of card together! (same stuff?)

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, logi.
I wonder what you have taped the joints with?
Any way, just 3mm of skim will finish it.

it was taped with plasterboard joint tape, kind of a mesh type tape.

Thanks for advice.

Is skim different to plastering then? or just a different technique?

Well, Plasering is a catch all term for what plasterers do.
It includes backing, which you do not need to know about, and finish, which is what skim is.
So you want a bag or two of board finish , mix it up in a CLEAN bucket with CLEAN water, and when it is the consistency of double devon cream pour it onto a board and off you go.
There must be some plastering videos on u-tube.
Good luck.
Alan D.( chessspy , google me, 1850 pages last count)

Sponsored Links
So you want a bag or two of board finish , mix it up in a CLEAN bucket with CLEAN water, and when it is the consistency of double devon cream pour it onto a board and off you go.( chessspy , google me, 1850 pages last count)
God if it's that simple, makes you wonder why everyone isn't at it!

Logi, I’ve no axe to grind & by all means have a go but from the questions you’ve asked, you won’t have a hope in hell!

Oh c'mon richard, Let him 'ave a play, nothing ventured nothing gained, (or lost!)
Any road out 'ow bad can it be?

I’m self taught (through financial necessity) & my work is as good as any you’ll see but there have been a few disasters along the way. I’m all for folks having a go & everyone has to start somewhere but approaching your first job armed with advice that it’s just a case of buying yourself a trowel, mixing some plaster up in a clean bucket with clean water & slapping it on! :eek: That’s a stone bonk certainty to end in tears &, believe me, the results can look pretty bad! :cry:

Logi. First try & understand what your going to be up against by reading through the archive posts (& watching a DVD or a pro if you can), there is lots of first time advice from all of us in there. Then have a go by all means if you still feel your up for it but do let up know how you get on!
;)

Thanks for the constructive replies!
I've attempted many DIY projects and am very pleased with the results. I dont jump in to any project blind and dont hope for the best, I'll soak up as much advice and tips as possible on any project.
Will certainly let u all know how I get on anyways...
Cheers.

Anybody that knows how to plaster will know that the skim thickness isn't decided by the plasterer but by the plaster mix consistency. The thicker the mix - the thicker the skim. I'll bet you any money that Richard C varies his mix to suit the background (as any competent plasterer will). I too am self-taught and can get absolutely top results, but it took me 20 years to perfect it.

Anybody that knows how to plaster will know that the skim thickness isn't decided by the plasterer but by the plaster mix consistency. The thicker the mix - the thicker the skim. I'll bet you any money that Richard C varies his mix to suit the background (as any competent plasterer will). I too am self-taught and can get absolutely top results, but it took me 20 years to perfect it.
5 years & still learning ;)

You go for it 'logi', if you dont have a go you will never know if you can do it.

Whats the worst that can happen, it all goes pear shaped and you have wasted £30 on plasterboard and a bag of gypsum then have to call out a plasterer to sort it for you.

Giv it a go and see what happens.

Buy yourself another sheet of plasterboard & nail it temporarily to the garage wall (inside). Practise on that before you go straight for your newly boarded wall.

logi, how large is the area you intend to skim ?

What do you want to do with the wall after it has been skimmed, paint it, wall paper etc ?

The above all factor into the decision to do it your self or get someone in, i have to agree with Richard C, plastering is something of an art which takes time to learn, hopefully with someone who knows the job backwards.

The trouble with plastering is that it is also quite a physically exhausting job and as the saying goes 'plaster waits for no man' meaning it goes off quickly and becomes unworkable.

GaryinAshby has the right idea, have a go on a spare bit of board and see what you think to the job.

I hope you succeed, plastering well is a very rewarding job when finished properly, although there are a few trips along the way.

Good luck.

Do all the plasterboarding yourself, beading, taping. then call in the professionals.. that's my advise and exactly what I'm doing... :LOL:
KS (diyer)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back