Plaster / plasterboard / render advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice / opinions before i go any further. I'm sorting our kitchen out, the ceiling has been removed and i'll be putting up new plasterboard, and we're going to have the whole room skimmed. Most walls are generally fine, but one corner is a bit of a mess. The first wall looks like this:

DSC_0309.jpg

I presume that i'll have to strip this back to the brick. Around the corner the second wall is like this:

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

As you can see i've already chanelled it for central heating pipes (which i'll be copper tailing) and my plan was to cover with galvanised steel chanelling before skimming over.

So, assuming i have to strip the first wall back to brick, should i then have it rerendered or affix plasterboard to the wall before skimming over ? What are the pros and cons of each ? Although the second wall is a lot better, if i'm stripping the first wall should i just do the second one at the same time anyway ? (the reason i ask is if i strip it back a re-render then i'll only have to re-channel the new render which is a bit of a pain).

Thanks for any help or advice
Alistair

Sponsored Links
no need to take the walls back to brick so long as it's 'sound' and not blown.

you're gonna need to get that wallpaper of and scrap the tile adhesive off to, otherwise a tight coat of bonding to flatten the wall and use hardwall to fill out the areas where you have brick.

I'm assuming the paint in there is quite shiny? if so i'd get some bonding agent on it from wickes as a key for the new skim coat.

Not a good idea to use bonding in a high moisture area such as kitchens, neither is it a good idea to cover lime walls with gypsum products.

Sponsored Links
neither is it helpful to recommend bonding in high moisture areas.. The wall needs a breathable aggregate.

So any kitchen that has tiles or kitchen paint is a bad kitchen then? I guess that would be about 99% of all kitchens eh?

if it's design to be a wet build then yes. you not been reading?

regards ;)

Seems we understood this was a kitchen from the start and your breathable aggregate advice was misleading.

Don't know what your agenda is on here peaps but I suspect your from another forum and are just trying to bring this one down. All u seem to interested in is to turn each thread into a bun fight rather than help the original poster.

The only thing you're suceeding in doing is driving away people looking for help and the people offering it, maybe u should google 'internet forum' and get yourself a better understanding of what they're about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back