Plaster stains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a bungalow, and I have a cupboard in my hall. In between the back of the cupboard and the kitchen there is a cavity leading to the roof. For many years I had an oil fired central heating boiler in the kitchen, I now have a gas boiler. The fumes from the old boiler went into the cavity, and there was no flue liner. I have used white emulsion on the the plaster inside of the cupboard a few times, and brown stains keep showing through the plaster. Is there a sealant I can use to stop these stains appearing. I only need a small amount, would Rust-Oleum Clear Satin Multi - surface sealer 0.25L from B & Q be ok.
Regards.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Greenveg, good evening.
If it were me? I would go for Zinsser BIN or Zinsser 123

I have just used the 123 on a damp wall, one coat has stopped the flaking and no stain now visible, 1826 plaster on masonry.

This product appears in many posts on the board, I was skeptical because I have tried over time several "stain blocking" products, so far one month on all well with the 123

Worth a look? OK costly BUT?

Ken

Thank you for your reply. I have no doubt that Zinsser 123 is an excellent product, but at £17 for the smallest tin, I really do not want to pay this, to use a very small amount and have the rest sitting on a shelf and never get used again. I read that a solvent based undercoat paint can act as a sealant. Undercoat is better than a gloss paint as it is easier if you want to emulsion after. As I have a newly opened tin of solvent based white undercoat I thought that I would give it a try. After one coat, the stains no longer appear, and it seems to have worked.
Regards.

Sponsored Links
Oil based undercoat will probably be fine. Be aggressive with brush as you apply it to ensure that any soot and paint merge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back