Plaster/straw panel wall in victorian house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a partition wall in our 1903 victorian semi-detached house that is approx 2" thick and appears to be made of compressed straw and plaster blocks.
I am about to start removing this wall and I am a bit concerened that it might contain some nasties eg asbestos.
Anyone familiar with this type of stuff and whats its made of?
Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
The binder in those blocks is usually Plaster of Paris or some other preparation of gypsum, possibly with a little sand.
The straw is there to impart stength and also act as a cheap filler. If they put something like straw in them, it's unlikely that they would incorporate asbestos fibres as well, which would be far more expensive.
In the absence of a test (£££!) that's about as much as can be said.
Why not just damp the place down, wear a mask, bag the stuff up and get on with it?

Thanks for the knowledge Tony.
I probably will do just that.
I didn't really know anything about it and my googling skills must be pretty weak at the moment as I couldn't find much about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back