Victorian reno asbestos panic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. This has probably been discussed previously but have not found any informative posts making me feel a bit better. (panic) So as many other fellow DIYers, I have purchased a nice Victorian terraced house built in the 1920s.The big renovations have started today and boy is the project full of surprises. The main bedroom is seperated by, what it seems, a plasterboarded wall. This does not look like a recent build as the plasterboards is extremely crumbly. Having cut into this wall, I have found that little fibers stick out of the plaster material, so immediate panic stepped in as suspected to be asbestos. Could any way more experienced people let me know what you think? Upon researching I came across the fact that hair was added to Lime plaster back in the day for strength. So I am currently very conflicted.
Ordered an asbestos test kit but wanted to see if anyone had an idea here first.

Best regards.
George

Attachments

• IMG_20230907_191947.jpg
    IMG_20230907_191947.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230907_191953.jpg
    IMG_20230907_191953.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
Lath and plaster. It contains horse hair. Totally standard for any stud partition in a house of that age. Asbestos would look nothing like that

The ceilings will all be like that too if they haven’t been replaced

Hello 23vc, thank you for the fast response.
I was confused as expected horse hair to be dark but I am definitely not an expert in this.
Work may continue then tomorrow.
Is it worth patching this plaster back or just replacing the whole wall would be easier and the more robust way to go forward?
All the best.

Assuming you’ve cut out the same stuff as you can see on the other side (wooden laths and plaster) if it’s sound I’d patch it - it’s horrible dusty stuff to remove and dispose of if you don’t need to.
I’d patch it by fixing a couple of battens behind the cut out section (screw from the front into them to pin them in place) then fix plasterboard to them to fill the hole, then plaster.

Sponsored Links
I would agree with above, unless you want some better sound insulation.
I was going to patch one of my damaged lath and plaster walls, but decided to add some sound batts between the studs instead. That, and the further up I investigated from the damaged section, the more plaster decided to detach! :rolleyes:

By the way, just as random info, you didn't buy a Victorian house built in the 1920's, unless HG Wells was somehow involved...

That lath and plaster looks very clean - leaves me wondering if an old school traditional worker repaired or replaced it more recently...

By the way, just as random info, you didn't buy a Victorian house built in the 1920's, unless HG Wells was somehow involved...
Even with an extension to the date, the "Victorian-era" ends in 1914....

If you can see hair or fibres, you are not seeing asbestos fibre, as that is microscopic.

A lot of so-called horse hair is actually coconut fibre. Usually brownish, sometimes a bit orange, burns without unpleasant odour.

Was widely used for "horse hair" mattresses and padded furniture.

Naturally free of odour and infectious disease. Does not support clothes moth.

Also called Coir, it was cheap and plentiful in the days of Empire, for marine ropes, doormats, brooms and brushes.

Assuming you’ve cut out the same stuff as you can see on the other side (wooden laths and plaster) if it’s sound I’d patch it - it’s horrible dusty stuff to remove and dispose of if you don’t need to.
I’d patch it by fixing a couple of battens behind the cut out section (screw from the front into them to pin them in place) then fix plasterboard to them to fill the hole, then plaster.
Hello 23vc again. Good info thank you.
Yes I can definetly agree with this being extremely dusty and crumbly.
I will do my best to keep it sound, as the wall quality right now seems to be in a good state.
I would agree with above, unless you want some better sound insulation.
I was going to patch one of my damaged lath and plaster walls, but decided to add some sound batts between the studs instead. That, and the further up I investigated from the damaged section, the more plaster decided to detach! :rolleyes:
Good point regarding sound insulation.
Will probably keep it as is for the time being and put it down as a later improvement to be assessed.
The same composition of plasterboard seems to be attached ontop of thr bricks om the walls which is also extremely crumply and big pieces detach once a hole or electrical socket slot is cut into them.

That lath and plaster looks very clean - leaves me wondering if an old school traditional worker repaired or replaced it more recently...

Even with an extension to the date, the "Victorian-era" ends in 1914....

Haha thank you both. From all of the things I researched for the renovation, I must say I still never thought of fact checking this.
I shall from now on refer to the house by it's year of construction.

A lot of so-called horse hair is actually coconut fibre. Usually brownish, sometimes a bit orange, burns without unpleasant odour.

Was widely used for "horse hair" mattresses and padded furniture.

Naturally free of odour and infectious disease. Does not support clothes moth.

Also called Coir, it was cheap and plentiful in the days of Empire, for marine ropes, doormats, brooms and brushes.
Interesting. This is for sure white-ish.
Everything seems to be well maintained in the property up to know.
Will see if I can keep most of it in good shape.
Thank you

Its within a stud wall so no opening to let in dirt. Not like a ceiling in the attic space that will be filthy!

L&P with Lime is IME thick and very heavy, and a much better sound barrier than plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back