Plaster types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me what scratch and finishing types (best brands etc) of plaster I should buy from one of the sheds? I have a BQ , Homebase and Wickes on my doorstep if thats any help .

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Plastering is a skill. If you don't know which types then you're in for a heck of a shock. What are you plastering?

Sorry , I should have given more detail.

I bought some Wickes finishing plaster to repair some holes created in my bathroom when I removed some tiles. The job was pretty good and more than acceptable for behind tiles.

I am in awe of pro plasteres as I totally agree its a skill. However I know my limitations, the job in hand is a boarded up serving hatch.

Many thanks for your reply

If it's a plasterboard patch then you won't need bonding. Insert the piece of board so that it is just about a 2 mm lower the other plaster. Then apply scrim tape around the repair, then skim and blend in the patch with the existing surrounding plaster. It's not that easy to get right unless you've done it few times. Blend in with a wet paint brush before it starts to set. The trick is not to ruck up the scrim. However, if you don't use it it will crack.

Sponsored Links
thanks Joe ,
The problem is that the boarding is nearly 10mm lower than the wall in places!!

Any suggestions on plaster type ?

If its plasterboard then use Board-Finish as the name suggests but if you are spreading onto board & existing plaster then use Multi-Finish.
If the joists are too deep into the hole then double board with 9.5mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back