plasterboaard joint filler and tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted earlier that I was battening a brick wall then plasterboarding. I want to paint the boards white after fixing, and someone suggested a filler then tape over joints before painting. I ordered all my materials, and when they weere delivered, the joint tape is just a roll of papery material, and the filler is powder in a bag-I expected selfadhesive tape, and ready mixed filler :rolleyes: ...however I am sure I can figure out how to mix the filler, but -
How do I affix the tape after filling joints?
Is there a special primer needed before painting?
it is only a garage / workshop so does not need to be "perfect"
TYIA
Oh also....can plasterboard be cut with a knife ( one side then "snapped") or with a jigsaw or what ??

Sponsored Links
Yes you cut through the surface on one one side then snap it, but i'm no expert on the filler bit.

eunos800 said:
, the joint tape is just a roll of papery material, and the filler is powder in a bag-
How do I affix the tape after filling joints?..........tape goes in the filler like a sandwich
Is there a special primer needed before painting?.......no.

Sponsored Links
the method of finishing you are using is an american idea, especially with tapered edge boards. mix your powder with water (always add powder to water while stirring) until like soft butter, cut paper tape to size, apply a layer of mix to the board joint, apply tape, another layer of adhesive over the top ,to flush it up, then trowel smooth about 15mins later. if you use self adhesive scrim, then it would be wise to 2coat skim with thistle board finish, as we do over here.

it may be an American idea but its pretty standard on large new build sites nowadays..
you should appy filler then bed in tape well then fill to flush ith tapers in boards, when that has gone off use a wide jointing knife or a trowel and apply another coat 50mm wider on each side than the flush fill and then when that has gone off a further layer 100mm wider than that when that has gone off sand flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back