Plasterboading over existing bathroom plasterboarded ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tiled top to bottom in my bathroom and it was suggested to me that plasterboading over the existing plasterboad ceiling would provide a better finish. My bathroom is not big. The measurements are 1.96cm by 1.65cm.

I am wondering if I only need to fix thin plasterboard and maybe in one piece or 2 pieces? I am not sure how wide plasterboard is until I visit my local diy store.

How will I secure it to the existing ceiling? I know which way the joists are running so I will use screws. How about glue adhesive or will screws be enough?

Thank you for your time
:D

Sponsored Links
12.5mm plasterboard screwed in to existing joists would be best. 1 sheet won't be enough, you'll need 2. :)

Sponsored Links
yup 2 boards! screws only will be fine about every 6 inches, 60mm drywall bugle headed screws.

make sure you get square edge boards for skimming afterwards, tape the joints with fibre glass joint/skrim tape then skim.

as for finding the joists, you make as much of a mess as you need of the old boards as you won't see them, try using a bradawl to poke holes until you find a joist, mark it then find the other end, work your way long the ceiling until you've marked all of them and mark the walls too so that when you put new boards up you can still see where your joists are.

when you fix the boards, fix them so that the bound un-cut edges are at 90 degrees to the joists.

think that should cover it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back