Plasterboard, AIB or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our early 1900s terrace, the ceiling has come away from the joists (changes in temperature have caused the nails to work loose).
I had a board up in the bedroom to see the extent of the damage and to be honest, I'm not completely sure what I'm looking at. I'm slightly worried that this board is asbestos insulating board. Would anyone be able to give me an idea of whether there's a possibility based off the piccy here?

I want to just put some screws through into the joists to secure it, but it'll be a much more expensive task if it's AIB.
Screenshot_20220110_220244_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just to add, the ceiling is covered in a thick layer of asbestos containing artex. So I'm already probably giving myself some sort of horrible disease. Screwing it back up just seems less risky than the whole lot coming down...

I might be wrong, but it looks like it has a paper facing on it - in which case it is PB. As to horrible diseases... Artex stopped using asbestos in their products some time before the end of 1999 deadline - in 1984 to be precise - so is your ceiling older than 1985?

If you need to deal with a small amount dampen the area you'll be screwing through, wear a FFP3 mask and get one of those cup dust collectors to pop over the bit holder and catch the bits. Whatever you do avoid using a domestic vacuum cleaner to clean up any dust - the fibres are a lot smaller than even HEPA filters so a domestic vac will blow the fibres all over the place

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be wrong, but it looks like it has a paper facing on it - in which case it is PB. As to horrible diseases... Artex stopped using asbestos in their products some time before the end of 1999 deadline - in 1984 to be precise - so is your ceiling older than 1985?

Yeah that appears to be paper stuck to the joist that's ripped off the board.
I actually couldn't tell you the age of the ceiling, the previous owner lived here for 20 years before we moved in 6 months ago. Can't say they updated the place at all in that time -judging by the decor, but it's still possible it was installed post '85

Sponsored Links
I'm old enough to have installed asbestos board ("Asbestolux" fire boarding) in the 1970s. I've never seen it with a paper facing, unlike PB which has to have a paper facing to hold it together. Main uses I can think of were as linings for immersion cupboards, fireboarding in chimneys, behind cooker ranges (commercial kitchens) and sometimes as secondary fire protection (floors, fire doors, etc). TBH I wouldn't want to install it on a ceiling as it is quite heavy and often brittle

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm old enough to have installed asbestos board ("Asbestolux" fire boarding) in the 1970s. I've never seen it with a paper facing, unlike PB which has to have a paper facing to hold it together. Main uses I can think of were as linings for immersion cupboards, fireboarding in chimneys, behind cokker ranges (commercial kitchens) and sometimes as secondary fire protection (floors fire doors, etc). TBH I wouldn't want to install it on a ceiling as it is quite heavy and brittle

Just had another board up and reluctantly stuck my hand in to peel what looked like paper and it is indeed paper so I'm assuming PB.
In terms of not using it for ceilings, that is interesting as I've spent a while pooing myself that I'd drilled a hole for a downlight in the pantry (under the stairs) into what I assumed was AIB, before I even knew what it was...
Cheers for your help on this, I'll mask up, get a cowl for my drill and crack on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back