Plasterboard behind wood burner?

G

Greenbrigade

Is it possible / safe to put plasterboard behind a wood burner / flue? At the moment it's exposed brickwork but wonder if it would be possible to tidy it up at all? TIA

Sponsored Links
Plaster, and plasterboard, degrade from heat. The gypsum is hard because it combines with water, which is driven off by heat, and it crumbles. This is also why it is fire resistant, because it absorbs heat when the water is driven off. Close to your stove it may get very hot. I don't know the temperatures involved.

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but I'm planning to plaster the wall behind my new woodburner, using hydraulic lime mortar straight on the wall - using NHL 2 natural hydraulic lime
the mix I'm planning is 1 lime to 2.5 sand. (I might get round to a lime putty skim on top for a finer finish, but will probably be happy not to). My understanding is that lime copes with heat better than gypsum, and I think also better than cement?

Whether it is 100% bob on info or not i don't know but our fire installer told us that the board used in & around a stove has to be "A1 rated". I'm sure that's the term he used.

He gave it various names but the one we used was MAG PLY. I think it's about 12mm - 12.5mm thick. Was fine to paint direct to the board.

This MAG PLY board is not like your standard plasterboard either by the way.

Vermiculite, Master Board are a couple of heat proof boards that can be used. Only need a coat of emulsion on them to finish. No need to plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back