Plasterboard box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, about to have some wiring work done on a flat with lots of plasterboard & stud walls. At the minute lots of the sockets are surface mounted - I'd prefer to have them flush. I've seen these things for sale:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTMDLB1.html

Are these types of box used frequently, and are they any good?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Easy to fit and use.
My only concern is that they are not very strong (the lugs that hold onto the back of the plasterboard could do with a bigger surface area and the screw inserts for fastening your switch/socket are weak)
It seems true irrespective of brand.
So use them by all means but treat them lightly.
Years ago I remember some lugs you could fit to metal boxes to convert them but not seen any lately

The other concern is that its a flat, and therefore some of the walls bight be providing a barrrier (to sound and fire) thus cutting big holes in them might breach the building regs in those areas, I advise a quick call to your local building control offcier to see what he has got to say on the matter

If it's a flat and plasterboard you coul find that the plasterboard on walls to adjoining flats is up to 1 1/2 in thick

Sponsored Links
No, all of the adjoining walls to next door are solid, but about 3 of the internal walls are plasterboard.

Think that I may use them sparingly then.

Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back