plasterboard choices for bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

So I finished a front bedroom a couple months back and all went well, plasterers were well happy with the job, I'm looking at doing some more rooms now but doubting my previous material choices.

I took the old ceiling down and put up 12.5mm plaster boards and took the walls back to brick, then dabbed 12.5mm boards on the walls as well as making sure to prevent drafts behind the boards.

Should I stick to this method again or is it proper practice to use insulated plasterboard on the cold walls? I'd ideally like to steer away as the loss of space and also the cost. I have 15 plaster boards to use up but if I must use insulated, I can use them on the internal walls.

Also I'm not sure what is the correct vapour layer I should be using on the ceiling before fitting boards.

One thing I do knowv for sure is I will use thermal for window reveals.

Sorry for the long post I have a habbit of over thinking.

Sponsored Links
If you have a filled cavity it's probably not going to help having internal insulation too

We used 12.5mm boards all over except for on the walls that separate us from our neighbour. We used the blue sound deadening ones there.

A few years ago I dot and dabbed foil boards, they lasted 24 hours :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

I was told about those foil ones before. Deffo not considering those. If I'm honest I'd prefer to stick to the 12.5 unless I should really not.

It comes down to what you want to achieve. Insulated boards will make the room cheaper to heat and/or warmer, but they cost more and take up space. Do you want us to help quantify the beneifts? That's not entirely straightforward, but we could try.

Legally by buildings regs you may need to to insulate.
But really depends on many things like how much money you want to spend and the 'wish I had done it in the first place' factor.

I would have thought the filled cavity already meets building regs, op are you looking for super insulation or just basic comfort and normal bills?

Hi guys, really appreciate the replys.

Well, main concerns are I don't want a damp issues in the future. There's no problems at the moment but it's old plaster so more worried about creating a problem.

I'm not too concerned about trying to make it super efficienct. More about avoiding problems. If the rooms were bigger I would definitely opt for thick insulated boards. as they are I would need to use 30mm insulated and would I really get a benefit on that thickness? I guess I'm on the fence with it.

The rooms are small so we're talking about a few boards on a cold wall so it's more about space.

As for the roof I think I should definitely be using thermal board if removing the ceiling again? It's unlevel so needs to come down. I could use the 30mm thermal.

Thanks

B/regs require that you "consider" upgrading the insulation if you are renovating more than 50% area of the wall. This will include calculation of cost/benefit over 15 years, not just considering and then dismissing it. This is regardless of any existing insualtion present within the cavity.

Or it's your house do what you like, and take your chance.

I like tapping external walls when surveying for buyers. It's an easy one.

You have a good point there woody.

Well on that note I think I will definitively insulate the cold exterior walls. I can make use of all the other boards on internal walls.

Can insulated board be fitted to ceiling without vapour layer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back