Plasterboard coming away from ceiling

D

danroach

Hi.

We moved into a house back in June last year. There are some minor decorating issues but one thing has very much alarmed me.

In one corner of the kitchen (above some wall mounted units) the plasterboard on the ceiling seems to hang down. So much so that there looks to be hairline cracks appearing along what I suspect to be the edges of the plasterboard panel.

Above this area of the ceiling is the bathroom and I had fears that there had been a leaking pipe above the section and we were looking at water damage. This isnt the case as I've had the bath panel off and everything seems bone dry, plus there are no water marks that I can see.

Spoke to my insurance today and the were obtuse, dismissive and pretty rude in telling me that it was more than likely wear and tear. On a ceiling???

So knowing that there are usually a lot of clued up folks on here I wanted to put my problem out there (so to speak) and see if I can get some more helpful advice that I got from the panheads in the insurance call centre.

Thanks in advance.

DR

Sponsored Links
Reading my message through it sounds like I'm asking for advice regards insurance....I'm definitely not. I'm sure they'll wriggle out of helping one way or another.

Hoping to get some ideas of what may cause this and suggestions on remedial work.

Thanks again...

Check closeley your policy. If covered, tell them you have found a leaky joint and fixed it , but you wouild like them to arrange payment for damage to your ceiling plaster or for them to arrange for their contractors to remedy. If a family with children were the last occupants then it is not unusual to get a load of water splashed from the bath or shower onto the floor, often aided by their equally exited parents. Who probably think their little darlings are entitled to do as they like !

That's great Bill, I'll do that. Now you mention it it does seem entirely plausable that this could be the case. It heartens me to consider that the joists aren't about to come crashing down.

My wife has a colleague who's partner is a surveyor so we might have her take a look too.

Many thanks either way.

Sponsored Links
In one corner of the kitchen (above some wall mounted units) the plasterboard on the ceiling seems to hang down. So much so that there looks to be hairline cracks appearing along what I suspect to be the edges of the plasterboard panel.

So is it hanging down ( that's 20-30 mm to me ) or have you got a hairline crack ( 1- 2 mm or so) ?

If it's the latter, what are you panicking for ? You must have noticed that just about every house has these due to differential rates of expansion (and corner-cutting by the builders)

Hiya...

I'd estimate it's dropped at its maximum by around 1100mm in the corner but won't easily shift back to its level when pushed. The hairline cracks are roughly parallel to the walls which suggest to me that the entire sheet is strained.

Hiya...

I'd estimate it's dropped at its maximum by around 1100mm in the corner but won't easily shift back to its level when pushed. The hairline cracks are roughly parallel to the walls which suggest to me that the entire sheet is strained.

its dropped by the same height as a child 43" lol
or is that the area and its only a few mm

Yep, full day looking after the kids and trying to fit in message board posts don't mix!

Sorry about that.

110mm drop I'd guess at the worst affected area.

you will just have to bite the bullet remove anything fragile
cover the whole area with dust sheets/old sheets/plastic sheet and gradualy remove the dammaged area to idealy 300mm beyond any dammaged area but certainly 75mm

Instead of fraudulently claiming against your insurance company, dip your hand in your pocket and just fix it back up or replace it. FFS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back